Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#31971 by oomamax
Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:56 pm
Bought new handset from Best Buy today. Battery is charging now. Screen says "Not SUB". What does that mean? How do I activate or connect the handset? Is there a manual for the handset? - that is - one that really says something, not the promotional pdf on the web site. Thanks.
#31987 by Groundhound
Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:25 pm
Handsets have not yet been officially released, and require a PIN to activate. Current Ooma statement is " The Handset PIN number will be available during the week of November 9th."
#32288 by mhouge
Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:38 pm
My Ooma site now states, "The Handset PIN number will be available on November 16th." FYI.
#32292 by dsegel
Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:50 pm
Do the handsets require a subscription? Do they only work with Premier or something like that?
#32302 by southsound
Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:40 pm
No, the handsets will work just fine with the basic service. I believe that when they release the pin numbers on Nov. 16 your handset will become fully functional after a short firmware upgrade from the Telo. The delay is probably because they want to fine-tune that firmware so you have the best possible customer experience. In the mean time, you will be able to make sure that your handset is fully charged and ready to go!
#32307 by tommies
Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:52 pm
dsegel wrote:Do the handsets require a subscription? Do they only work with Premier or something like that?

The hand set will acts as a wireless scout. If you plan to sign up for premier service (which cost extra), the hanset will allow you to maximize the features that premier has to offer. If you plan to stick with the basic service, the hand set does not have any real advantage over others multi-handset cordless phone.
#32308 by southsound
Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:55 pm
tommies wrote:
dsegel wrote:Do the handsets require a subscription? Do they only work with Premier or something like that?

The hand set will acts as a wireless scout. If you plan to sign up for premier service (which cost extra), the hanset will allow you to maximize the features that premier has to offer. If you plan to stick with the basic service, the hand set does not have any real advantage over others multi-handset cordless phone.

In fact, if you do not intend to get Premier in the future, you might even have more features with a nice DECT 6.0 Panasonic or Uniden base with multiple handsets. I bought a Uniden 1580-5 with 5 handsets from Staples using a coupon and paid only $75 for it. The DECT 6.0 handsets will not interfere with WiFi and have a lot of great features.