Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#32149 by daet
Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:21 am
murphy wrote:
daet wrote:The only thing I can add is that although I expected my port from Vonage to take 3-4 weeks, it actually happened in less than one week.

They must be getting better. My port from Vonage last January took 3.5 weeks. That's probably because the number was originally ported to Vonage from Verizon. Vonage had to reverse the port from Verizon so the number went back to Verizon and then Ooma was able to pick it up from Verizon.

My number was a straightforward Vonage to Ooma port. But the quickness with which it happened was pleasantly surprising.

DG
#32262 by Wiz_Bang
Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:08 pm
I decided to give Ooma support a call this morning to follow up on the troubleshooting I did over the weekend with them. I find out my number was not listed to PORT and there is no record of my 6 + hours of conversation with support from the weekend. WTF, no PORT, or record of my calls.

I was told on more than one occasion the support person would return my call (Derick) while troubleshooting my issues, that never happened. I went through the process of online activation and selecting to port my number and entered a credit card number to complete the process. I also explained that the support staff (Derick) created a temporary Ooma number and instructed me to forward to my primary number. This just shows again the lack of understanding, you cannot forward to a number already listed as shared under phone numbers.

I explained this is very poor customer service and certainly not how to retain new users and requested to speak with a manager. I go through explaining again how my system is connected and the issues with incoming calls. If Ooma expects to stay in business for any length of time they should STOP outsourcing their Technical Support overseas and hire some AMERICANS WITH TECHNICAL SKILLS. The support is not in my opinion highly technical at all and has really no idea how to troubleshoot the primary issues reported over and over again with their systems.

What I have determined on my own is:

I finally got the Telo to ring on incoming calls, however only on a phone which happens to be a speakerphone/Alarm box. I thought hmmm maybe the Alarm box is causing some interference and could be my problem. "Wrong" I unplugged it from the wall connected to the jack and still cannot seem to get it working as expected.

It appears to be something maybe with the jack configuration in my home/office.

The only way get it to work is as follows.

1) Phone port on Telo connected to base until of my cordless phone.

2) Wall port on Telo connected to phone jack in office.

3) VOIP modem connected to wall jack in office. This distributes the dial tone to the other jacks in my home.

Now here is the strange part and since I only have the one cordless phone base unit it makes some sense. When I dial my primary number from my cell phone it rings on my alarm box which happens to be connected to my phone line. I can only get the Ooma dial tone by using this configuration all other setups have caused problems. I ruled out the issue with the alarm. So I guess my only other troubleshooting method is try and get a second phone connected to a jack and see if it rings. Should my phone connected to the base unit and phone port on the Telo ring in this configuration/setup even if the wall port is also plugged in?
#32297 by tommies
Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:24 pm
I read through the thread several times but still have trouble understanding the problem. So I go from scratch.

Test your home wiring. You probably need a phone jack tester to test the voltage of the phone wiring. You can get it at most of hardware/electronic store(Home Depot, Lowe's, Radio Shack, Fry's to name a few) and there is a good change that you can get it under $10.

Disconnect your TW voip and Telo from the house wiring, and test every wall jack in the house. The line should be clean, i.e. no voltage present. You probably need a Line1+Line2 splitter to test both lines of your house wiring. If there is any voltage on the house wiring, this is the source of the problem.

Next connect your TW voip into the wall jack and do the test again to see which jack have the dial tone, which is not. You might want to do this twice(for both line 1 and line 2--so two line1+line2 splitters are needed)

If there is any problem with the house wiring, you need to fix them first.

At the time of activation, did you choose to intergrate your land line to work with ooma? This is important, if you pick the wrong option, ooma will not work. I know you had called CS and this setting might be reset, however I do not get the clear picture of this situation.

Call CS to inquiry about the land line intergration status. You should emphasize that:

* You want to keep your number, i e. you do not want to port your number or might to choose to do so later.
* You want to have your land line rings through ooma and serves as a backup when ooma is down.
* You don't know if you choose the right option when activating the ooma unit. (I know, it was confusing for me as well.)

and ask CS to help you to choose and retify it if you picked the wrong option.

This will also answer your original question, you can test out ooma with this setup without the hassle of porting your number over. Later if you are happy, you can decide to port it or just drop it and return the unit.

read my post in this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4399&start=20 for instruction to install the telo with minimum of problems.

worst case scenario, you can feed the TW dial tone to Line1 and Telo to Line 2 of the house wiring during the transition period.
#32408 by Wiz_Bang
Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:05 am
Well I found the issue with using two VOIP services on the same line. It appears to be a problem with only having one pair of telephone wires serving the jacks in my home. I was under the impression I had two lines when they added a jack to my other room since it has two ports for connection. I should have known this would be problem from the start and verified my phone pairs before attempting to connect the system. You cannot have two VOIP services on the same pair and attempt to distribute the dial tone using the wall port on the Telo. If you are going to use the Telo with existing phones to distribute the dial tone it MUST be plugged into the PHONE port on the Telo and the phone wall jack in your home. I assumed the other port was the second line, its was simply piggy backed together. Its working now, and its time to evaluate the services provided from Ooma.