Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#31705 by beefree
Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:26 pm
I just purchased the ooma.
What i would like to do is to keep my landline + new ooma number,
but by only use 1 telephone device, can i make it for both numbers to ring in same phone?
For example, when people call either my landline # or ooma number,
the telephone (only using 1) will ring....

so...
1 landline number (A)
1 new ooma number (B)
only using 1 telephone
ring when calling either (A) or (B) so i don't miss any calls from either number...
and of course, when calling out, it's using ooma number (backup by landline of course)...

Current confiuration is:
My wall's phone jack connect to a splitter (DSL/PHONE),
DSL jack connects to --> modem connects to --> ooma "modem"
Then PHONE jack connects to --> ooma "WALL"
And a TELEPHONE connects to --> ooma "PHONE"
And a ROUTER connects to --> ooma "HOME"
however, above configuration doesn't work.... anyone has a solution to that? Appreciate!!!!!
#32016 by mac_kid
Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:03 pm
beefree wrote:I just purchased the ooma.
What i would like to do is to keep my landline + new ooma number,
but by only use 1 telephone device, can i make it for both numbers to ring in same phone?
For example, when people call either my landline # or ooma number,
the telephone (only using 1) will ring....

so...
1 landline number (A)
1 new ooma number (B)
only using 1 telephone
ring when calling either (A) or (B) so i don't miss any calls from either number...
and of course, when calling out, it's using ooma number (backup by landline of course)...

Yes. You can even assign a distinctive ring pattern to each phone number via myOoma. In this way, you would know which number they are calling.

beefree wrote:Current confiuration is:

My wall's phone jack connect to a splitter (DSL/PHONE),
DSL jack connects to --> modem connects to --> ooma "modem"
Then PHONE jack connects to --> ooma "WALL"
And a TELEPHONE connects to --> ooma "PHONE"
And a ROUTER connects to --> ooma "HOME"
however, above configuration doesn't work.... anyone has a solution to that? Appreciate!!!!!

Have you tried connecting Ooma at the back of your router?

MODEM > ROUTER > HUB

Ooma Wall -> Phone jack
Ooma Phone -> Telephone/handset
Ooma Modem -> Ethernet Port of your router
#32033 by tommies
Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:51 pm
At the time of activation, did you choose to intergrate your land line to work with ooma? This is important, if you pick the wrong option, ooma will not work.

Your setup is correct for a land line intergration. However, I see that you have DSL, you need to place a DSL filter in front of the ooma's WALL as you do a regular phone before you bought ooma.

If this will not help, you only solution is to call CS to inquiry about the land line intergration status. You should emphasize that:
  • You want to keep your number, i e. you do not want to port your number or might to choose to do so later.
  • You want to have your land line rings through ooma and serves as a backup when ooma is down.
  • You don't know if you choose the right option when activating the ooma unit. (I know, it was confusing for me as well.)
and ask CS to help you to choose and retify it if you picked the wrong option.
#32189 by beefree
Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:43 am
Thank you guys...

I actaully did choose the wrong setting when activating.
I choose not to have landline serve as backup, but actually want to keep the landline after activation....
so i called the CS to change the setting to:
have your land line rings through ooma and serves as a backup when ooma is down.

Which means it will only have 1 number (which is your original home landline#), and
when calling out, it will use ooma first (you will hear a special tone), and
if ooma is out of network then it will use landline to call out.

For incoming calls, everyone can just call our landline number, and this is what we want....
and now it's all working great, thank you very much ~~~ especially thank you to above responders ^__^ :D