Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#31594 by promark
Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:08 pm
I've got my new Ooma Telo hooked up to my Netgear router, and everything works great -- however, I noticed that the Ooma is the only device connected to my router that doesn't have a blinking green light (the Ooma's blinking light is orange). Does that mean the Ooma is not capable of gigabit throughput or is there a setting I need to change?

Thanks,
Brian
#31596 by Groundhound
Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:19 pm
Interesting question, to which I don't know the answer. Just wondering though, given the low bandwidth demands of VoIP and the fact that the Telo is behind your router - assuming that nothing is connected to the Telo's Home Network port - why would it matter?
#31846 by doug
Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:31 am
promark wrote:Ooma is the only device connected to my router that doesn't have a blinking green light (the Ooma's blinking light is orange). Does that mean the Ooma is not capable of gigabit throughput or is there a setting I need to change?

Yes, it does mean it is not running in gigabit mode. But it sounds like it is behind the switch in your router, meaning it really makes no difference unless Ooma needed more throughput than can achieved with the normal 100 Mbps rate. The only thing that might benefit from that would be firmware updates, but it would still only matter if your broadband connection was close to or over 100 Mbps. I'd love to have that problem; it would mean my broadband would be way faster. :)

When placed in front of your router, it again only becomes an issue if your broadband speeds exceed Fast Etherenet speeds. If this were true, you'd definitely want it behind your switch instead. Comcast claims they may offer 150Mbps within 2-3 years, but they are still working on rolling out the 50Mbps option around the country (and not where I live yet...).