Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#31477 by z531
Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:19 am
I'm going through the activation process and I'm unclear as how to answer this question:

"While your number is being ported, how will you be using your Ooma system?"

My goal is to keep using my land line (until the port is complete) for incoming and local-outgoing calls. I also want to be able to use Ooma for outgoing (free) long distance calls. I have internet over cable so no DSL to deal with.

So, should I answer "I would like to use a temporary phone number." or "I would like to use the Ooma system with my current phone provider". The latter implies to me that I won't be able to use the free long distance during the port, but I can't find any other info to confirm that.

Thanks
#31482 by murphy
Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:20 am
Since your are porting your number, I would (and did) get a temporary number for the porting period. My old phone line worked as it always did until the port was complete and then it went away. Mean time I had the temporary number to use while getting used to the system.
#31484 by kdmc69
Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:05 am
z531 wrote:I'm going through the activation process and I'm unclear as how to answer this question:

My goal is to keep using my land line (until the port is complete) for incoming and local-outgoing calls. I also want to be able to use Ooma for outgoing (free) long distance calls. I have internet over cable so no DSL to deal with.

So, should I answer "I would like to use a temporary phone number." or "I would like to use the Ooma system with my current phone provider". The latter implies to me that I won't be able to use the free long distance during the port, but I can't find any other info to confirm that.
Thanks

To add to Murphy's post: if you choose to use your land line with Ooma during the port process you will still be able to use the free long distance. Your incoming, and outgoing, local calls will be routed through your existing landline. All long distance calls will be routed through Ooma.
#31493 by z531
Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:50 pm
Thanks for the replies. I ended up calling Ooma support because I still couldn't wrap my head around the differences of these options. I can't say that they fully cleared up the differences, but I was assured that selecting "I would like to use the Ooma system with my current phone provider" would allow me to have free long distance through Ooma.
Here are my observations now that I've made that selection. 1) The phone connected to the Ooma hub has access to all the Ooma features, including (presumably, based on the dial tone) free long distance. 2) The phones connected directly to the land line jacks (telco) remain on land line service, and therefore do not have the free long distance. 3) Incoming calls ring both telco and Ooma phones. When I have my answering machine on my telco line turned on it will answer incoming calls (since it picks up after 4 rings vs. 5 rings for the Ooma). If I turn off my telco answering machine the Ooma answering machine will pick up. 4) I haven't connected my Scout yet, but I assume that a phone connected to it will work the same as the one connected to the Hub.
Hope this can save others the confusion I went through
#31497 by southsound
Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:15 pm
I'm glad that things are working for you but it is too bad you didn't accept the excellent advice that murphy gave at your request. Since all incoming and local outgoing calls are going over your landline, you will have no idea if your ooma system is working well except for when you make a long distance call. Many of us on the forum have chosen the ooma number because it lets us really give the ooma system a workout without waiting until the port is completed.

The scout should be no problem for you unless you have DSL on your phone line. If you do, you may have to wait until the port is complete and then do some rewiring. The scout and hub communicate using HPNA - a networking protocol that works fine with a standard voice line - but does not play well with DSL on the same line. Let us know if you are using DSL and it becomes a problem with your scout.
#31500 by z531
Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:47 pm
Southsound,
The fact is that I am using the Ooma service for all outgoing calls when I use the phone connected to the Hub . I verified this by disconnecting my "wall" connection to the Hub after initiating a call. I have the additional advantage of using/testing the Ooma answering machine for incoming calls to my land line number. The way I see it is that I am able to test out all the Ooma functionality (except incoming call quality) as well as have my land line as a fall back in the event the Ooma quality doesn't pan out. As I mentioned in my original post, I have cable not DSL so that is not a concern.
Thanks
#57195 by lbmofo
Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:57 pm
z531 wrote:I'm going through the activation process and I'm unclear as how to answer this question:

Anyone remember all the presented options related to the phone number setup?

I have a friend who setup ooma recently and chose to get a new number from ooma; he doesn't want to keep his landline #.

Will his outbound callerid reflect name defined in his ooma account?
#57196 by southsound
Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:04 pm
lbmofo wrote:I have a friend who setup ooma recently and chose to get a new number from ooma; he doesn't want to keep his landline #.

Will his outbound callerid reflect name defined in his ooma account?

It may take a couple of weeks (maybe longer) but it SHOULD reflect the name he defined when he set up the account and is shown next to his phone number in my.ooma.com. On my Telo, it took about a week to propagate. My hub number never did - it was Unavailble until I transfered it to my Telo when I retired the hub. Now it is still showing Unavailable. No one at ooma was able to tell me why or fix it. Most folks have had a much better experience that I did with the hub number. ooma does its best to populate the database used when an ooma to ooma call is made - and to send the correct CNAME info to its partners. The glitch may be when the local telephone companies "dip" into the master database to update their own records.

By the way, I believe your friend will be much happier by choosing an ooma number as he did - the integrated landline option is often the cause of many problems on the forum.
#57197 by lbmofo
Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:55 pm
Thanks for the info. I thought the CNAME would not get updated in some DB (and stay "ooma") if asking for "temp number" during activation.

Yes, I asked him to get a new number because someone famous said "friends don't let friends use Landline Integration." ;)