Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#31178 by sdzc
Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:19 pm
One of the reasons I am coming to Ooma is the cost of Comcast, especially the additional (almost) $10 in fees and taxes, including the modem "rental".

I still have my modem from before I went with the triple play, but my question is whether there will be any issues with the Ooma once I switch out the modems (after the number is ported). I am thinking no, but wanted to get your opinions as I go through this process.

Also, I am assuming I will have to contact Comcast telling them about the modem switch because I am assuming they need to know what modem I am using on my account?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Edit:

Two more quick questions:

1) Is Premier worth it?
2) I thought I read that you can port after getting everything set up, is that true?

Thanks again
#31180 by murphy
Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:25 pm
There should not be any problem with ooma when you switch modems other than you must power cycle everything.

You most definitely have to call Comcast about the modem switch. If the MAC address of your modem isn't in your account records at Comcast, they will not let it connect.
#31184 by Groundhound
Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:40 pm
I switched to Ooma from Comcast Digital Voice and went back to my pre-CDV modem afterwords. As murphy stated, you must tell Comcast about the new modem's MAC address for it to work. Furthermore, when you return your old rental modem make sure you get a receipt. In my case they attempted to keep charging me rent and I had to prove that I had returned it before they would credit back the charge.

Regarding your other questions, I think Premier is worth it and I am an annual subscriber. Yes, you can wait until everything is up and working to your satisfaction before porting, in fact it's a good idea.
#31192 by sdzc
Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:10 pm
Thank you both very much!!

Ooma is up and running with no problems. Called my wife and she liked the call quality (no difference from Comcast)

Hope the porting goes smooth. I believe I will sign up for Premier, but I also hope that Ooma doesn't "Sunrocket" on me (although I still saved money on that one over the length I had it). Just need to make it through 5 months if I add premier.