Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#31115 by Cowboy11044
Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:54 am
I've read the various posts about the second phone line and I've seen the user guide recommendation to install a line splitter for the fax machine, but I've not seen anything that specifically answers these questions:

If I connect the fax machine to the phone port of the Ooma Telo, whether with a splitter or not, is there a way to dedicate that second phone number for just the fax? If so, how?

I use a cordless phone system throughout the house (6 total extensions). If I have both the cordless phone base unit and the fax machine plugged into the back of the Telo with a splitter and someone is using a cordless phone extension, can I, at the same time, nonetheless use the built-in handset on the fax machine by pressing the line 2 button?

Thanks for your help.
#31117 by WayneDsr
Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:07 am
No. The telo is made to utilize line 1 with connected phones and line 2 with the Telo Handset (and Premier).
With a phone connected to line one you can utilize line 2 by "flashing" over to line 2, but you would not be able to use the second line while using the first line, unless you have the Telo handset.
There isn't a way to plug regular phones (and fax) into the second line.

Wayne
#31124 by Groundhound
Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:47 am
Cowboy11044 wrote: If I connect the fax machine to the phone port of the Ooma Telo, whether with a splitter or not, is there a way to dedicate that second phone number for just the fax? If so, how?

As Wayne said, there's no way for the Telo to handle two lines simultaneously without use of the Telo Handset. You can have a second, unassigned number with a different ring pattern that most fax machines can be set to recognize, so calls coming into that number would be automatically answered by the fax - but to receive or make a second call while the fax was in use you would need to use a Telo Handset.