Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#31108 by Cowboy11044
Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:44 am
I've just received my Ooma Telo. I intend to sign up for Premier service and to port my current phone number to Ooma; however, I currently use VoIP from a different provider (with a Linksys VoIP adapter) and I'm not sure about the porting process in this case because I don't think I can have the Linksys VoIP adapter hooked up at the same time as I have the Ooma hooked up (only one modem cable carrying Internet).

Do I need to leave the Ooma in while the porting process occurs or can I start the process through My Ooma, then disconnect the Ooma, and reconnect the Linksys VoIP adapter so I can continue receiving calls on my current phone number while waiting for confirmation that the porting process is complete?
    Or is it possible to connect the Linksys adapter and the Ooma in series with different phones connected to each of the adapters?

Thanks in advance for your help.
#31110 by murphy
Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:48 am
If the Linksys adapter issues IP addresses in a different subnet than the ooma does, you can put them in series.
It would be better if you had a router connected to your modem. Then you could connect each of them to the router.
#31113 by ajw522
Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 am
OK, I hope I can answer this one clearly.

From how I understand it, you currently have the Linksys Phone Adapter and you are wanting to port that number associated with the Linksys to ooma. During the porting process, however, you want to be able to use the Linksys to continue to make calls.

Once you start the porting process, you should be able to unplug your ooma device and keep it unplugged during the process. Since you do not have a router, it would not be ideal to have both plugged in at the same time. You can keep the Linksys plugged in and when the porting is complete, you can unplug the Linksys and then plug the ooma! in. You will be up and running!

Let me know if you need anything else!
Alex
#31118 by Cowboy11044
Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:07 am
Actually, I do have a router (and the Linksys VoIP adapater says that it is a "VoIP Phone Adapter and Router").

In any event, I currently have it hooked up modem --> Linksys SPA2101-A VoIP Adapter --> Linksys Wireless Router WRT54G --> computer (though the computer is plugged into the wireless router with an Ethernet cable). So, how would I hook up the Telo with this configuration? An Ethernet cable from the Wireless router to the "To Internet" plug on the back of the Telo? Anything then from the "To Home Network" plug?

Confused.
#31119 by ajw522
Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:12 am
Cowboy11044 wrote:Actually, I do have a router (and the Linksys VoIP adapater says that it is a "VoIP Phone Adapter and Router").

In any event, I currently have it hooked up modem --> Linksys SPA2101-A VoIP Adapter --> Linksys Wireless Router WRT54G --> computer (though the computer is plugged into the wireless router with an Ethernet cable). So, how would I hook up the Telo with this configuration? An Ethernet cable from the Wireless router to the "To Internet" plug on the back of the Telo? Anything then from the "To Home Network" plug?

Confused.

Well, if that's the case, then you can have everything plugged in! Keep your current configuration, but as you said, plug a port from the Router into the Telo's "To Internet" port, and nothing needs to go into the "To Home Network" Port. Just make sure you have QoS set up on your router so your voice quality does not diminish.

When you are not using the Linksys anymore and you have successfully ported your number to ooma, here is how you should set ooma up:

router --> ooma "internet" port --> Linksys Wireless Router WRT54G --> computer

This way, ooma can handle QoS.
#31120 by murphy
Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:16 am
What I would do (actually what I did) is

modem -> router -> Linksys adapter
.................... -> Ooma
.................... -> computer

The periods are to prevent the forum from stripping leading spaces. Pretend they are spaces.
This configuration should make both systems active at the same time.
#31140 by kdmc69
Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:47 am
I too came to Ooma from another VOIP provider. I chose to port that number to Ooma because I had had it for 28 years. The way I handled the situation was to have all calls forwarded from the other provider to my temporary Ooma number. After I made sure that was working, I turned off and disconnected the other provider's adapter. It worked like a charm until my port went through and everuthing was "normal".
#31144 by ajw522
Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:48 am
Forwarding works as well, as long as you have that option.
#31155 by murphy
Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:46 am
A few people have reported that having their number forwarded prevented their number from being ported.