Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#30990 by Sylvia Hayes
Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:52 pm
Does the phone have to be plugged directly into the Telo to work? We had Vonage (from Earthlink) before and we never had a phone directly plugged into the phone adapter, but all the phones in the house worked off the adapter?
We just bought our Telo this afternoon from Best Buy, but haven't even opened the box yet.
#30992 by dknyinva
Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:58 pm
Sylvia Hayes wrote:Does the phone have to be plugged directly into the Telo to work? We had Vonage (from Earthlink) before and we never had a phone directly plugged into the phone adapter, but all the phones in the house worked off the adapter?
We just bought our Telo this afternoon from Best Buy, but haven't even opened the box yet.
The new HS is wireless, so it works anywhere in the house. Telo support up to 4 HS.
#30994 by murphy
Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:04 pm
Sylvia Hayes wrote:Does the phone have to be plugged directly into the Telo to work? We had Vonage (from Earthlink) before and we never had a phone directly plugged into the phone adapter, but all the phones in the house worked off the adapter?

You can feed the house wall jacks directly from the Telo adapter just like you did with Vonage.
#30995 by Sylvia Hayes
Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:15 pm
murphy wrote:

You can feed the house wall jacks directly from the Telo adapter just like you did with Vonage.

Okay, I understand this as we had a phone cord plugged into the wall and the other end to the adapter. What happens since we will still have our AT&T until our phone number is ported? Can we still do it this way, if so how will we get the new temporary number and hold onto our AT&T number? We are thinking of taking the premier package, but at this point don't know for sure.
#31013 by murphy
Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:29 pm
That's different. I assumed that you didn't have a land line and were switching from Vonage to Ooma.
The simplest way to handle this is to leave your land line in place until it dies after being ported.
Plug a cordless base into the Telo to handle your Telo calls in the interim.
Leave at least one other phone connected to the land line.
Get a temporary number when you register the Telo (don't integrate it with your landline).
Once the port is complete, disconnect the land line at the Network Interface Box and connect the Telo to the house wiring.

There are other ways to do it using the line 2 wiring in your walls but it's probably not worth the trouble setting it up given the 2 or 3 weeks to complete the port.
#32582 by nancycmcdonald
Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:26 am
I'm ported as of last night, but I called the phone company this morning to disconnect, and they are on Veteran's Day holiday.
I just searched the forum for network interface, hoping that I would find this very advice (see above). So, as I understand it, I can disconnect my Fairpoint phone service from the house wiring at the network interface and connect my Telo to my house wiring as described in Distributing Ooma Dialtone to All Phone Jacks in Knowledge Base. Please confirm as I do not want to destroy my Telo equipment.
Thank you.
#32591 by Groundhound
Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:06 am
nancycmcdonald wrote:I'm ported as of last night, but I called the phone company this morning to disconnect, and they are on Veteran's Day holiday.
I just searched the forum for network interface, hoping that I would find this very advice (see above). So, as I understand it, I can disconnect my Fairpoint phone service from the house wiring at the network interface and connect my Telo to my house wiring as described in Distributing Ooma Dialtone to All Phone Jacks in Knowledge Base. Please confirm as I do not want to destroy my Telo equipment.
Thank you.

When you open the Network Interface Device (NID) or demarc box, you will probably see a phone jack with a short modular phone cord plugged into it. Unplug the modular phone cord and your house should be disconnected from the phone company's line. This assumes that you don't have DSL. If it looks more complicated than that then take a picture of it and post it here.

Edit: It is a good idea to put a warning tag on that modular phone cord that says not to plug in or it will damage customer owned equipment.
#32653 by nancycmcdonald
Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:44 am
Edit: It is a good idea to put a warning tag on that modular phone cord that says not to plug in or it will damage customer owned equipment.

What a great idea!! I never would have thought of that.

No DSL. It is just a basic setup. I've used it multiple times to test if the outage is in or outside of house. Thanks.