Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#30942 by djnardu
Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:13 pm
I have two xbox 360's "two different people" 2-active computers 3-4 sometimes and now my Ooma.

I hate to get rid of one cost but then add another somewhere else but let me get your input first.

My download rate is 4mbps and my upload is 384kbps. I have never had any issues with the connections even with all the different devices, but Im wondering if Ooma might be that final kicker.

Do you think call quality will be fine with my speed or should I upgrade. 5 dollars more a month will get me 10mbps dl and 800k upload.

If not any suggestions on how to set up the Ooma to reduce issues with bandwidth loss?
#30960 by WayneDsr
Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:59 pm
You know you want to... I say upgrade! :D

Ooma uses about 50k upload and download speed. You should be ok as I have a Playstation, Wii and 5 pc's on the network and all works quite well. I have my Telo behind the router and let the router control Quality of Service. It gets priority over everything, but no one seems to notice.

Wayne
#30961 by doug
Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:13 pm
djnardu wrote:Do you think call quality will be fine with my speed or should I upgrade. 5 dollars more a month will get me 10mbps dl and 800k upload.

If not any suggestions on how to set up the Ooma to reduce issues with bandwidth loss?

If Ooma is ahead of your router, then it can control the "quality of service" (aka QOS) and give priority to VOIP packets. You can configure this in the Advanced Settings portion of the ooma setup page for the device.

If Ooma is behind your router, than you must enable the QOS settings in your router so it can give priority to the VOIP traffic. You pretty much want to have QOS running regardless of what speed you have, IMHO. Some routers handle it better than others. Search the forums for QOS for more suggestions.

That said, for $5/mth it sounds like a good speed increase. But without QOS active, you can still saturate the bandwidth and if VOIP does not have priority, you can have the quality suffer.

Doug
#31005 by tommies
Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:02 pm
I'd like to put the ooma behind the router and let the router handle the QoS. I'd also like to try to make few phone call when both the Xboxes are online + do some video streaming on one or two pc's, and see how thing shakes out. If nobody complains, it's good.

An alternative is do some speedtest with various situations, remember ooma only needs 50kb each way.

My guess is you'll be fine. My speed is 1.5Mb down/256kb up, and my ooma is ok when I do streaming from espn360.com

Bitorrent is a wild animal, and if you have it, you need to tame it down with proper QoS(ie lowest priority)
#31036 by allo
Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:01 pm
For an extra $5 you get to double your upload-download speed! I think it is a good deal and it will come in handy most of the time!