Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#30543 by willibrutz
Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:21 pm
My husband and I bought a new telo yesterday. Tried to get it set up yesterday but ran into some issues. Today we tried again and same issue... when calling from the Telo to another phone, the person on the non-Telo phone can not hear the person on the other line but the person on the Telo can hear everything fine. We called the technical support line and he diagnosed 2 potential problems: 1) the current upload speed was too high and 2) we needed to switch from a dynamic IP address to a Static IP address.

My response to this is WHAT? Up until 5 minutes ago I didn't know the difference between dynamic and static addresses. After a google search, I think I understand it a little better but I can't be the only person with this issue.

I hate to change our ip configuration. Does anyone know of any other option?
#30545 by murphy
Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:43 pm
Both of those responses are nonsense. Static IP addresses are never required. You might choose to use them but they are difficult to set up because in addition to specifying the IP address, you have to specify the gateway address and the DNS address. What may be required is a reserved IP address that is linked to a MAC address.
What kind of broadband service do you have? cable, FIOS, or DSL?
Is the Telo in front of or behind your router? If you have FIOS, it's behind since their system has the modem and router integrated.
#30607 by willibrutz
Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:11 am
Murphy, thanks for the reply. This stuff is confusing. Our internet service is through cable so our current set up is Modem, Telo, Router... so I think this means the telo is in front? Also, the Ooma tech rep had us try to hook the router directly up to my laptop and we put in a # address (probably to setup.ooma) and we could not enter. I think this is why the tech rep said that we needed to call our service provider and ask to have a static address. If you (or anyone else) has any ideas, I would be so grateful. I bought this system because after reading all the reviews I believed it was an easy 15 minute setup. I am feeling discouraged.
#30608 by dknyinva
Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:20 am
willibrutz wrote:Murphy, thanks for the reply. This stuff is confusing. Our internet service is through cable so our current set up is Modem, Telo, Router... so I think this means the telo is in front? Also, the Ooma tech rep had us try to hook the router directly up to my laptop and we put in a # address (probably to setup.ooma) and we could not enter. I think this is why the tech rep said that we needed to call our service provider and ask to have a static address. If you (or anyone else) has any ideas, I would be so grateful. I bought this system because after reading all the reviews I believed it was an easy 15 minute setup. I am feeling discouraged.
Please try this

1. Connect a network cable (i.e. RJ45) from your Telo Internet port to your modem
2. Connect your laptop to the Telo home port and try to connect to the Internet
3. If you have no Internet, try to see if your laptop is receiving an IP address from your Telo
3a. Make sure your laptop is setup for DHCP (dynamic host configuration protocol), all it means it will receive an IP address from your Telo automatically
3b. At a command prompt (i.e. DOS prompt), type ipconfig /all. The IP address of your should look something like 172.27.x.x
4. post back here and will continue....
#30767 by willibrutz
Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:55 pm
Please try this

1. Connect a network cable (i.e. RJ45) from your Telo Internet port to your modem
2. Connect your laptop to the Telo home port and try to connect to the Internet
3. If you have no Internet, try to see if your laptop is receiving an IP address from your Telo
3a. Make sure your laptop is setup for DHCP (dynamic host configuration protocol), all it means it will receive an IP address from your Telo automatically
3b. At a command prompt (i.e. DOS prompt), type ipconfig /all. The IP address of your should look something like 172.27.x.x
4. post back here and will continue....

This seemed to work. This was a different set up than the rep had instructed us to try. WIth you advice, I was able to get into the Ooma setup webpage. Also my IP address is 192.1680.198

Look forward to get instructions to the next step.

Many thanks,
Erin
#30816 by dknyinva
Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:22 pm
Can you tell me if you're Telo setup page looks something like these? If not try setting up exactly like the 2nd image. Report back and we'll continue
#30864 by willibrutz
Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:29 am
OK, I have now changed the advanced settings page to look like the one you posted yesterday.
What is the next step?

One thing to mention (not sure if it is important or not).
On the Quality of Service Section, the upstream internet speed is set at 384 mbs.
Based on a test we performed on our network over the weekend, our current download speed is 4.93 Mb/s.
#30870 by Groundhound
Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:22 am
With your laptop connected directly to your Telo's Home Network port (no router for this test), run ipconfig again - step 3b in dknyinva's instructions above. What does your laptop say its IP is?

Who is your ISP? What service level (down/up speed) do you have from your ISP? What kind of modem do you have (brand & model)? What kind of router do you have (brand & model)?

With your laptop still connected to your Telo (no router), run the test at http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html. At the end of the test click on the Advanced tab and post the results here.
#30880 by dknyinva
Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:53 am
Groundhound wrote:With your laptop connected directly to your Telo's Home Network port (no router for this test), run ipconfig again - step 3b in dknyinva's instructions above. What does your laptop say its IP is?
Hopefully your laptop IP address should be 127.27.35.2
Groundhound wrote:With your laptop still connected to your Telo (no router), run the test at http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html. At the end of the test click on the Advanced tab and post the results here.
Hopefully you should have Internet at this point to access the above URL for VoIP test. Next stop is to replace your laptop connection with your router plug-in the same home port on the Telo. Power cycle in the following order

1. Modem (wait 10 secs or until so see all lights on your modem all lid)
2. Telo (until all BLUE.... :P )
3. Your router (the IP address should be 127.27.35.2 assigned by the Telo)
4. Post back and we'll continue...
#31007 by willibrutz
Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:08 pm
OK, I think we took a step backwards this evening. :(
When I tried to plug my telo into my laptop directly, I was not able to get an internet connection.

When I go to the DOS prompt and type ipconfig/all, I still have the same IP address as the previous night which is 192.168.0.196.

My service provider is Comporium with a max service speed of 5 Mbps x 512 Kbps. The modem is Arris model CM550A and the router is Dlink DIR-655.

I did do the test a mentioned in the above post (not linked in through the telo though) and I will post the results below.

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 1.2 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 4.6 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.2 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.6 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.7

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 870832 bps