Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#30520 by Adam
Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:50 am
Howdy,

I would like to order the Ooma system as a replacement for my current home system. I will be using my current DSL service which is on the same line as my regular phone system.

What is the *best* solution for the clearest and and fastest (speed) setup on the Ooma? I am very familiar with phone lines in the scenes that I do not mind having to rewire a few, open the box, etc. if need be.

Do you guys recommend anything? Ooma system on a different telephone box, rewire house, etc.

Thanks!
Adam
#30699 by hpepper
Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:20 am
Not sure there is any one "best installation" as it all depends on individual needs and requirements - where the Hub will be, other phone locations and such. One thing I do know, if you keep DSL, if you can keep the DSL running on a different pair than everything else, you cut many potential problems out of the picture.

Do you plan to keep your landline or will you be getting rid of that and having a dry-loop DSL? (DSL without a landline)
#30878 by Adam
Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:21 am
Howdy,

The setup I would like to have as follow:

Modem -> Gigabit Router -> QoS Setting Router @ Ooma
Modem -> Gigabit Router -> 8 Port Gigabit Switch -> Other Devices (NAS, Home Server, 2x Desktop, Laptop, Dish)

1 Phone Line - Dry Line - DSL Only.

The Ooma will connect directly to the router and my other devices will be at the on a 8 Port Switch as the router does not have enough ports, however the Mac Address of the Ooma will get QoS priority.

I am expecting to order the Ooma Telo and use Ooma TeloHandset around my house. I do not like the idea that I can not use a Scout and connect that with the Ooma Telo.

If I go the other route, using the Ooma Telo and the whole Distributing option (or both TeloHandset and Distributing), is it better to use the the two pair wiring - as DSL will be on the same line - or non two pair wiring?

Or would it be better to create an internal phone system (get another phone box) and switch all the phones to that box and have the outbound Ooma connection feed to the internal phone box? Will I need to add some DC power to that box or no?

Any suggestions would be great!

-Adam
#32296 by Adam
Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:22 pm
Hey,

Anyone want to answer my questions above?

Thanks,
Adam
#32300 by Groundhound
Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:38 pm
Adam wrote:Howdy,

The setup I would like to have as follow:

Modem -> Gigabit Router -> QoS Setting Router @ Ooma
Modem -> Gigabit Router -> 8 Port Gigabit Switch -> Other Devices (NAS, Home Server, 2x Desktop, Laptop, Dish)

If I understand your network correctly, your router has a two port switch built in and you plan to connect the Telo to one of the router's LAN ports and your 8 port switch to the other router LAN port, with your router providing QoS priority to the Telo. This should work fine. It really would not matter if the Telo was connected to the router directly or to one of the ports on your 8 port switch in this case.
#32305 by tommies
Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:46 pm
Hey

I have almost the same setup as you want: ATT dry loop DSL, telo behind router, which control QoS.

It's best if you can move the DSL signal to Line 2, and then connect the Telo PHONE port into Line 1 of the house wiring, make sure that Line 1 is disconnect at the DEMAC box. Other option is using a multi-handset cordless phone plugged directly to the telo PHONE port.

If you go with the Telo, the incoming Hand Set will acts as a wireless scout. Unfortunately, the old scout can only compatible with the old ooma core hub.