Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#30403 by Rob D
Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:18 pm
My hub is working fine but can't get my scout to work and hope someone can assist. When I plug in my scout the ooma tab turns solid red when it's first turned on and stays that way through the entire start up sequence and never turns blue. Is it possible I have a bad scout?
Here is the sequence of events that occur with my scout:
1) scout wall port is plugged into the wall plug
2) scout phone port is plugged into the phone
3) when I plug in the scout the following happens
a) ooma tab turns solid red
b) first row of buttons turns solid red
c) first row of buttons turns off and second row of buttons turns solid red
d) second row of buttons turns off and bottom row of 4 buttons turns solid red
e) bottom row of buttons stays solid red and so does ooma tab
NOTE: ooma tab on hub is blue
NOTE: I can hear ooma dial tone on phone connected to scout
NOTE: If I unplug scout from wall plug and plug phone in directly I can hear ooma dial tone so it tells me this line is connected to the hub.

I'm not sure what else to do in order to get the scout to work. Any suggestions?
#30406 by murphy
Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:28 pm
Do you have DSL?
The DSL signal can not be on the same wires that connect the hub's wall port to the scout's wall port.
#30409 by jazzyone
Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:37 pm
Also try connecting the Hub "Wall" to the Scout "Wall" directly. If it turns blue, then it's not your Scout.

CORRECTION: Actually, upon reading >"NOTE: If I unplug scout from wall plug and plug phone in directly I can hear ooma dial tone so it tells me this line is connected to the hub."

Seems like you have hooked up your Hub "Phone" port to the Wall Plug. This is not the correct configuration to work with the Scout. It's ok to do it this way in order to have the whole house with a Ooma Dial Tone, but the Scout only works with the Wall port to the Hub Wall Port (not Phone Port on the Hub).
#30410 by Rob D
Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:48 pm
I just found a post labeled "Phone Line - Whole House - Scout" and it fixed my problem. Bottom line, I used a splitter (one that came with the hub) to connect the hub wall port and phone port to the wall jack. This now allows me to get ooma dial tone to the entire house(which I had) plus allows me to use my scout for retrieving voice mail, etc. Thank you for all your replies.