Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#30220 by Lee
Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:34 pm
UPDATE:

Got the Telo, followed the setup instructions and all went well with the new software download. It took about an hour and all lights are blue. I set it up to use my current phone number while the port is taking place. I recorded a msg for the Ooma voice mail. All went well again. A recorded Ooma msg then said that all was set up and I could now make calls using my new Ooma.

Here's the problem - I called my cell phone and the call went through, caller ID and all. When I use my cell to call the home number the voice message does not play all the way through and the quality is TERRIBLE and the caller ID reads "Unknown" with seven stars as the number. In other words no incoming caller ID.

I also tried to change the intensity of the Ooma lights on the Telo and when I press that key all the lights go out. Telo still works, just no lights at all. I have to press it again to get the lights back.

Any suggestions on all this?

Thanks,

Lee
#30350 by murphy
Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:40 am
Lee wrote:You Ooma guys have me worried now. Doesn't anyone want to answer this post with some help?

This is a user to user forum with the ooma moderators checking in periodically.
For now the Telo lights are either on or off.
It takes a couple of weeks for caller ID information to propagate through all of the phone company databases.

Have you tested your broadband service?
Go here
http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html
and post the results for someone to analyze.
#30351 by dknyinva
Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:00 pm
Lee wrote:UPDATE:

I also tried to change the intensity of the Ooma lights on the Telo and when I press that key all the lights go out. Telo still works, just no lights at all. I have to press it again to get the lights back.

Lee
That's not the intensity light. That button is to turn on/off the light on the telo
#30357 by Lee
Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:55 pm
murphy,

I thought the Ooma guys were here all the time. Thanks for the speed URL. I checked it and the results are:

28 mpbs down
2.57 mpbs up
0.0 jitter
0.0 packet loss
4.2 MOSscore
QoS 99%

dknyinva,

It is not an on/off switch. The quick start guide that comes with the Telo calls it a "brightness adjustment."
#30361 by just4fn
Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:11 pm
You both are right. Ooma has disabled the switch for now to make it an on/off switch. There are issues with the Telo that made them disable adjustments for now. In future upgrades ooma may enable it again.
#30363 by murphy
Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:17 pm
Lee wrote:murphy,

I thought the Ooma guys were here all the time. Thanks for the speed URL. I checked it and the results are:

28 mpbs down
2.57 mpbs up
0.0 jitter
0.0 packet loss
4.2 MOSscore
QoS 99%

Those look very good. Can I assume that you have cable or FIOS and not DSL?
#30376 by Lee
Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:45 pm
Yeah, I'm on cable, Murphy, without a router. I hooked the Telo up between the modem and computer. Relieved to hear the results are good. One less thing to have to fix or adjust. I do have 50 ft. ethernet cables between the modem and computer, however. My computer is in the in-home office and Telo in the kitchen. Groundhound said the other day, in another post, that he did not think that would be a problem. He did say something about being an Rj45 cable, though. I checked and mine is not. As the cables are only 6 or 7 bucks from Amazon I'll just order another set if I'm told that is the problem.
#30395 by Groundhound
Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:14 pm
Actually, the RJ45 I referred to was the plugs, not the cable. I mentioned them in the context that the cable you were using came with the plugs pre-wired as opposed to self assembly.

Lee wrote:Here's the problem - I called my cell phone and the call went through, caller ID and all. When I use my cell to call the home number the voice message does not play all the way through and the quality is TERRIBLE and the caller ID reads "Unknown" with seven stars as the number. In other words no incoming caller ID.
Any way to test again without using the cell phone?
#30418 by Lee
Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:19 pm
Actually there was a test by accident this morning, Groundhound. There was an incoming call that did not leave a msg. It may have been a cell, I obviously had know way of knowing but it also showed "unknown" with seven stars. I just moved to this area and don't know any of my neighbors yet but will find a way to call my number with a known landline and see what it reads. Thanks for the suggestion.

Lee