Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#30134 by jayk
Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:44 am
I thought when I setup my Ooma it said something special about porting a number that is associated with your DSL account.

In my case Qwest provides my DSL and current landline. I want to port my Qwest landline number to the Ooma now that I have things up and running smoothly with it. Do I just follow the regular process online or do I need to worry about anything. I can't seem to find any cautions against what I'm doing in the documentation.

Thanks

-Jay
#30167 by Groundhound
Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:40 pm
You're going to have to get your Qwest DSL separated from your landline (dry loop DSL), otherwise when your port goes through and your Qwest phone account automatically cancels it may take your DSL with it.
#30290 by jayk
Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:41 am
So if I call up Qwest and ask to "seperate" my DSL from my landline will they have any idea what I'm talking about or is there some other term I need to use so I get my accounts in good shape for porting?
#32506 by OomaZooma
Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:12 pm
jayk wrote:So if I call up Qwest and ask to "seperate" my DSL from my landline will they have any idea what I'm talking about or is there some other term I need to use so I get my accounts in good shape for porting?

There is no guarantee that the CSR you speak to will know what you are talking about. I had to call AT&T/Bellsouth twice before I had someone who knew what I was talking about. Tell the CSR that you are porting over your phone line number and need your DSL dry looped. If the CSR tells you they cannot do that then hang up and call back again until you get a person who is familiar with the procedure. They will have a technician come out and place your DSL on a separate line in the outside box (NID) at your residence. When your phone number ports over it will drop the phone line connection and your DSL will stay active on the other line. You will no longer need the DSL filters since you are no longer sharing DSL with your old phone line. I suggest that you disconnect your old phone line jack in the NID to avoid voltage leakage and line noise interference with your DSL. Good luck!

Gary
#32517 by tommies
Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:35 pm
OomaZooma wrote:
jayk wrote:So if I call up Qwest and ask to "seperate" my DSL from my landline will they have any idea what I'm talking about or is there some other term I need to use so I get my accounts in good shape for porting?

There is no guarantee that the CSR you speak to will know what you are talking about. I had to call AT&T/Bellsouth twice before I had someone who knew what I was talking about. Tell the CSR that you are porting over your phone line number and need your DSL dry looped. If the CSR tells you they cannot do that then hang up and call back again until you get a person who is familiar with the procedure. They will have a technician come out and place your DSL on a separate line in the outside box (NID) at your residence. When your phone number ports over it will drop the phone line connection and your DSL will stay active on the other line. You will no longer need the DSL filters since you are no longer sharing DSL with your old phone line. I suggest that you disconnect your old phone line jack in the NID to avoid voltage leakage and line noise interference with your DSL. Good luck!

Gary

I also ported from ATT/Bellsouth. I was lucky to get it done on the 1st call.(<30min including wait/hold time)

I told the CSR that I want to port my number out to another carrier(voip) and keep the DSL service. Thus a dry loop DSL is needed. I also ask for assurance that my number will be safe till the porting is completed. No technician to come out in my case.

I had seen some just simply add for a dry loop DSL and end up losing their number because the CSR misunderstood that they wall to drop the phone line and keep DSL.

However, Qwest procedures might be different from ATT eventhough the underlying technical is the same.
#47494 by sputicus
Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:57 am
I just called QWest, with this forum topic at hand, and told them I was going to port my number to another service, but I wanted to keep my DSL, so I wanted my services separated. The agent told me that doing so was not necessary, when the number port takes place, a new number will be assigned to my Quest voice service and both the voice and DSL service will remain active. I will then have to call back and terminate my voice service, if that is what I want to do.

Anyone else had this experience or have been successful with this approach?