Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#29998 by Lee
Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:53 pm
I do not have a router so will be hooking up the telo as follows - modem> to internet port on Telo> Home network port on Telo to computer. Is this correct? As I am going to port my number over, and use the landline until that happens, I just plug the land line phone cable into the phone port on the Telo. Correct?

My computer and modem are in my in-house office. I want the Telo in the kitchen and will be doing the above mentioned hook-up via 50 ft. ethernet cables. Will these long cables be a problem?

I am still confused when plugging the phone into the Telo if I will be making and receiving calls on the Telo (internet) or my phone service with Qwest? Meaning, will I now be making long distance calls for free? When I get calls they will be calling the landline number until the port is over or do I need to tell everyone to use the temporary Ooma number?

Thank you in advance for the help. Sorry about all these basic questions. You can tell I'm not very computer literate.

L
#30009 by Groundhound
Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:53 pm
Lee wrote:I do not have a router so will be hooking up the telo as follows - modem> to internet port on Telo> Home network port on Telo to computer. Is this correct?Yes, be patient with the new software download process. Once you have it hooked up it will go through a number of different light patterns before ending up with all lights on blue, takes about 20-30 min typically but may take an hour. Don't interrupt it. As I am going to port my number over, and use the landline until that happens, I just plug the land line phone cable into the phone port on the Telo. Correct? If you are choosing to integrate your landline, plug the "wall" port of the Telo to your landline wall jack and your phone into the Telo's phone port.

My computer and modem are in my in-house office. I want the Telo in the kitchen and will be doing the above mentioned hook-up via 50 ft. ethernet cables. Will these long cables be a problem? Should be fine, especially if the RJ45 plugs are pre-wired on your cables.

I am still confused when plugging the phone into the Telo if I will be making and receiving calls on the Telo (internet) or my phone service with Qwest? Meaning, will I now be making long distance calls for free? Yes. When I get calls they will be calling the landline number until the port is over or do I need to tell everyone to use the temporary Ooma number? Inbound calls will come to the integrated landline number.

Thank you in advance for the help. Sorry about all these basic questions. You can tell I'm not very computer literate.

L