Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#29990 by grantm15
Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:11 pm
I have a question regarding setup with a modem and a router. The instructions via modem and router are clear cut, but I am wondering if my setup would be altered the way I set my network up. I have both a dsl modem and router, but the dsl modem handles the routing portion of my network (NAT, port forwarding, etc.). The router is just a dummy access point for wireless capabilities. Does that change the setup instructions that were given for a modem and router setup?

Thanks in advance.

Grant
#29993 by dtalwar
Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:21 pm
In your case, the Ooma device can be connected to your router that is accessing as an access point. Your Ooma device will then be behind the router. Try connecting it that way and see if it works. If not, provide more details around your DSL Modem and whether or not it supports QoS.
#30023 by Dante R
Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:27 pm
grantm15 wrote: Does that change the setup instructions that were given for a modem and router setup
Grant

The instructions should remain the same.
#30035 by grantm15
Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:30 pm
The difference that I can see is that the ethernet cable from the modem goes into one of the 4 router ports, not the internet port because it is not handling any of the routing functions (all of that is being handled by the modem). That is why I wasn't sure if the setup would be the same.
#30046 by Groundhound
Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:05 pm
grantm15 wrote:The difference that I can see is that the ethernet cable from the modem goes into one of the 4 router ports, not the internet port because it is not handling any of the routing functions (all of that is being handled by the modem). That is why I wasn't sure if the setup would be the same.

Don't know what kind of router you have but with most routers the Ethernet cable between the modem and router would need to be connected to the router's WAN or Modem port, even though you have routing functions turned off. The router is operating as a network switch but the wired connections don't change. If you have an Ooma Hub you would connect its modem port to one of your router's 4 LAN ports (if a Telo connect the "to Internet" port to a router LAN port). Any QoS prioritization would need to be handled by your modem since you have routing functions turned off in your router.

If you want to put the Ooma Hub before the router then the modem would be connected to the Hub's modem port ("to Internet" if a Telo)and the Hub's Home port would be connected to your router's WAN or Modem port. In this configuration your modem would assign an IP to the Ooma device, but the Ooma device would create a second net for everything connected to its home port, and the Ooma device's QoS would prioritize traffic in favor of phone calls.
#30063 by murphy
Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:27 am
To turn a router into a switch you disable the DHCP server in the router and then connect ALL cables to LAN ports and leave the WAN (Internet) port empty. Note that once you disable the DHCP server the only way to re-enable it is to do a factory reset of the router.
#30140 by Groundhound
Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:25 pm
I stand corrected. I'd done that with one of my Linksys WRT54G's but in checking back I see I forgot it can turn the WAN port into a LAN port for such situations, which is how it was able to work for me.