Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#29973 by jayk
Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:49 am
I'm having trouble getting the setup I want to work. In my pre-Ooma days I had the following setup: Actiontec GT701-WG (DSL modem/Wireless access point) -> Switch -> Various computers + DD-WRT print router acting as a print server (wireless AP turned off).

To get things working I just plugged my Ooma into the switch, this allows things to work okay with some limitations. I can't access http://setup.ooma.com obviously, at least without carrying a laptop over to the Ooma and plugging it into the Ooma. Also, I wouldn't mind having the Ooma do the QoS stuff instead of my Actiontec DSL modem/router.

So my desired setup (at least this is what I thought it should be, let me know if there is something better I should do) would be: Actiontec GT701-WG (wireless AP turned off this time) -> Ooma -> DD-WRT router (running as print server and wireless AP turned on) -> Switch -> Various computers.

However when I attempt the desired setup nothing behind the Ooma can get to the internet. And on top of that I still can't get to http://setup.ooma.com. I'm not sure what I have to setup on the DD-WRT router or Ooma to get things going, any ideas? Also as a note, I have the Actiontec router setup to use OpenDNS as the DNS servers, I thought I may have read something that mentioned problems with using openDNS, anything to that?
#29976 by southsound
Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:08 am
Your preferred setup sounds a lot like mine so I can give you some help from my experience. I also use the Actiontec GT701-WG and have a switch after it. I do also have a hub between the two, but have my Telo plugged into the switch. And I use OpenDNS. What you need to do is put the ooma's home port IP address in ooma's DMZ. This is accessed from the setup screen under advanced. This address defaults to 172.27.35.1. On the network page, select use built-in MAC address. You also need to use the address your Actiontec assigns address to access the setup page after you move things in this manner. You can determine this by going to the status page and using the address shown next to modem.

Welcome to ooma and to the forums. You're going to like it here.
#30021 by Dante R
Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:09 pm
jayk wrote:So my desired setup (at least this is what I thought it should be, let me know if there is something better I should do) would be: Actiontec GT701-WG (wireless AP turned off this time) -> Ooma -> DD-WRT router (running as print server and wireless AP turned on) -> Switch -> Various computers.

However when I attempt the desired setup nothing behind the Ooma can get to the internet.

You say "nothing behind the Ooma can get to the internet", this leads me to believe that either :

A. Possibly reboots did not take place after everything connected?
B. Home port is not connected to correct port on DD-WRT Router or link light not lit. (what port is "Home" plugged into on DDWRT router and is link light on?)
C. Maybe you have some devices using static IP?

Also would just like to add, there really is no need to have immediate access to setup.ooma.com (once everything is working of course!)and QOS should only be manipulated if you are having voice quality problems.