Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#29956 by dsiebenh
Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:51 am
Hi: Successfully installed an Ooma hub using the Phone out to the whole house wiring and all the jacks get dial tone.

Now the fun part, I want one jack to also use a Scout so that someone returning to the house can see a voicemail indication easily and retrieve the voicemail if needed.

The phone where I installed Scout works fine. But the Scout displays an error and a red light.

The Hub is not conveniently located for this purpose.

Is there a simple way I can get a Scout functional using whole house "Phone Out" wiring? Some kind of splitter device for instance? I do not want to go thru the exercise of using one pair for the Scout and a different pair for the phone, as I saw in another post. My phone wiring infrastructure is rickety enough as it stands...

Thanks!
Last edited by dsiebenh on Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
#29957 by Groundhound
Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:02 am
The first thing to know is do you have DSL? Your Hub and Scout must be connected to each other via their respective "Wall" ports. This can be done over your house wiring but not if DSL is on the same wire pair.
#29975 by Groundhound
Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:00 am
You can accomplish what you want by connecting both the "wall" and "phone" ports of the Hub to a wall jack with a splitter, and then connect the Scout's "wall" port to another jack in your home. You can then plug a phone into the Scout's phone port if desired or just use it for remote VM access.

My own personal preference is to keep the wall ports of the Hub & Scout connected via an isolated wire pair, but if your house wiring is old you may not have another pair available, and the way I described should work fine if you are just wanting to use the Scout's "answering machine" features.
#29978 by dsiebenh
Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:22 am
Fix literally took one minute and works perfectly. Thanks so much!

For anyone else looking to do the same thing, the splitter that comes with the Ooma package works perfectly.

Awesome!
#29980 by Groundhound
Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:00 am
Glad you have it working. With the Scout connected and a phone plugged into the Scout's phone port, you can try out one of Ooma Premier's cool features during your trial period, the "Instant Second Line". When a call is in progress on any other phone, you can pick up the phone connected to the Scout and make another call.