Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#29831 by TimCosgrove
Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:38 pm
Having problems with my Telo. Currently if I power it up, the only lights on the front that come on are the 1 and 2. These light up solid blue.

My setup currently is:

phone jack (DSL only, no landline) -> DSL modem -> router (Apple Airport Extreme) -> Ooma. This is the 2B configuration, which is recommended by Ooma at the end of the activation process.

At various stages of my installation attempts, I have had:

1. Ooma logo flashing blue
2. Ooma logo glowing solid red
3. Upon powering, 1 and 2 glow solid blue for about 15 seconds, followed by 'trash' and 'mail' glowing solid blue for about 3-5 seconds, followed by the bottom row of buttons glowing blue and staying that way indefinitely.
4. Currently, only 1 and 2 glow, and they stay that way.

None of these lighting situations are covered by the troubleshooting.

The Cat5 ports on the back are both glowing orange, with an occasional flicker of green.

setup.ooma.com is currently not accessible. I have a laptop plugged into the Home Network port. At times during my installation it was reachable, but currently is not.

Through the Airport Utility I am able to see the Ooma register as a DHCP client. But, nothing appears to be happening.

The Ooma is plugged into the router via the 'Internet' port. The laptop (for diagnostics) is plugged into the 'Home Network' port.

I have cycled the power on the Ooma, the router, and the modem several times, in various orders.

My Ooma phone number is 4153473759, if that helps anyone on the admin side.

Any help appreciated. I am well past the 'average 15 minutes' time for easy setup.

Thanks!
Last edited by TimCosgrove on Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#29836 by murphy
Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:47 pm
At first power on the Telo has to download and install new software.
This process can take up to 30 minutes.
Until the download is complete, the unit is not going to work.
#29837 by ntoy
Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:49 pm
Hello,

Is your telo still powered & connected to the internet? At any point, was power interrupted or power unplugged from the telo?
If not, how long has your telo been plugged in?

Some telos may take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour to update.
#29838 by TimCosgrove
Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:49 pm
murphy wrote:At first power on the Telo has to download and install new software.
This process can take up to 30 minutes.
Until the download is complete, the unit is not going to work.

Is there any indication that this is happening? This also doesn't explain the wide variety of behaviors the Ooma has displayed since I started trying to install it.
#29839 by TimCosgrove
Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:50 pm
ntoy wrote:Hello,

Is your telo still powered & connected to the internet? At any point, was power interrupted or power unplugged from the telo?
If not, how long has your telo been plugged in?

Some telos may take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour to update.

Yeah, power was lost a few times. I tried rebooting it as a way of possibly dealing with the problems.

Do I have a brick on my hands?
#29842 by ntoy
Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:06 pm
Hello,

Sorry, it does appear that it has given up.

Please return it to the store for another one & activate the new one when you receive it.
#29844 by TimCosgrove
Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:16 pm

Please return it to the store for another one & activate the new one when you receive it.

Wow. That's extremely disappointing.

Ok. So I know when I get the replacement unit, how should I install it? Set it up as in Option 2B, and let it sit for several hours? How do I know when it's downloading software, and how do I know when it's done?
#29845 by TimCosgrove
Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:17 pm

There's no hard-reset procedure?
#29849 by ntoy
Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:27 pm
Hello,

You can try:

Telo Factory Reset procedure

-Unplug unit from power for 30 seconds
-After 30 seconds connect power to Telo
-When the red ooma logo starts flashing press STOP(square) and TRASH at the same time (the logo should flash blue/red)
-hold the keys until the ooma logo turns solid red
-the box should then factory reset and reboot