Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#29743 by pwu9
Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:05 pm
I'm having issues with trying to get Scout to work as a second line. I am subscribed to Premier and when I first signed up for Ooma, I chose the option to use a temporary number. After my old landline was ported over the temporary number became my second number.
Today, when I was trying to set up my Scout, no matter what I do I cannot seem to get the scout to ring when I call the second number. If I call my main number, both the hub and the scout rings both phones, if I call the second number, it goes straight to voicemail.
So this is what I did to set it up. I first went into "My Ooma->preferences-Phone Numbers->Add a personal device" and added the scout and punched in the serial number and e-mail address and password.
Then I clicked on the second number and moved it from "Shared" to the Scout. After all that is done and it says changes saved. I log out of "My Ooma" and then log in using the 2nd number. Once there I go back to "Preferences->phone numbers" and check to make sure everything is there.
But then when I try to call the second number, the scout doesn't ring and it goes directly to voicemail. If I leave a voicemail, then it will show up in the voicemail section when I'm logged in to the second number and not the hub number, which is what I expect. The thing I don't understand is, why doesn't the scout ring? Another test I did was I used the phone connected to the scout to dial my cell phone. When I did that, the caller ID shows the hub number even though in "My Ooma" I picked the caller ID number to be the second number.
It seems to me like the Ooma server is not able to
So I guess my question is, when I added the scout, does it take some time before the change is propagated to all of the various servers or should the change take effect immediately? If it does take some time, how long should I wait until testing?
The second question is, I've read on the forums about some people receiving a scout that has a different serial number than what is on the box/bottom of the scout. Is there any way we can find out what is the actual serial number stored in the scout?

am I doing something wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Tahnks
#29744 by jazzyone
Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:26 pm
That's exactly what happened to mine. As I reported before my scout had the wrong serial number labled. Contact the moderator for help. He's the one who determined the actual sn for my scout.
#29814 by pwu9
Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:15 am
thanks jazzyone. I took your advice and sent an e-mail to Dennis and he gave me the correct serial number.
After putting in the correct serial number, Scout is working fine now.
The scary thing is, The serial number sticker for my Scout is sitting on some other Scout so I wonder if there is potential for problems if the person that has that sticker tries to register that scout.
#29854 by amarryat
Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:49 pm
Exact same thing happened to me today. And when I gave up and decided to move my second number back to the "Shared" device, the website reported an error and said to contact support. So my setup is back to the way yours was when you started. I wonder if I have the serial number problem as well.
#29862 by pwu9
Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:38 pm
before I finally got the correct serial number, I was able to move the 2nd number back to the "shared" hub and when I called that number both phones would ring. I think whenever you make a change on the website you'll need to reboot your hub and scout or wait like 10 minutes.
But if you are having the same symptoms, then I would say you probably have the wrong serial number.
You might want to send an e-mail to Dennis P with your phone number and the MAC address of your hub and ask him to check the serial number.