Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#29733 by ayjay
Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:59 pm
I currently have 5 phones in my house with 3 lines. 2 lines are standard verizon landlines and the 3rd is a verizon DSL/fax line. I would like to switch to ooma throughout the house with the same phone numbers and was wondering how to do so.

1)Should i keep the verizon DSL line (to support the ooma phone) and just switch the 2 standard lines? Is that possible to do?
2)If i get 2 lines with ooma, does simply plugging the hub into the wall jack allow me to use BOTH lines throughout the house on all phones?
3)Can i have 2 DIFFERENT numbers with ooma like i had until now with verizon?

4)While waiting for my phone numbers to be ported, what happens if someone calls my old number-where does the call go to?

Also, if you have any general tips to help me make the switch it would be greatly appreciated, being that i don't have much knowledge with phone systems and wiring. Thank you.
#29763 by Groundhound
Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:02 am
ayjay wrote:I currently have 5 phones in my house with 3 lines. 2 lines are standard verizon landlines and the 3rd is a verizon DSL/fax line. I would like to switch to ooma throughout the house with the same phone numbers and was wondering how to do so.

1)Should i keep the verizon DSL line (to support the ooma phone) and just switch the 2 standard lines? Is that possible to do? You have to keep DSL, either the way you now have it or as "Dry Loop". If you do a lot of faxing or send/receive long faxes you'll probably want to keep it the way it is now.

2)If i get 2 lines with ooma, does simply plugging the hub into the wall jack allow me to use BOTH lines throughout the house on all phones? Plugging the phone port of the Ooma Hub into a wall jack will give access to the first line on all connected jacks in the house. To use the second line you will need to utilize one or more Scouts in the desired locations. If considering the Ooma Telo instead of the Hub, then cordless Telo Handsets would give access to the second line.

3)Can i have 2 DIFFERENT numbers with ooma like i had until now with verizon? Yes, the numbers can even be in different area codes if you desire.

4)While waiting for my phone numbers to be ported, what happens if someone calls my old number-where does the call go to? While you can integrate your existing phone lines with Ooma, I'd recommend that you keep them separate since you plan to discontinue them and port the numbers to Ooma. During the transition you would have two temporary Ooma numbers to use for outbound calls. You could (if your Verizon service permits) forward inbound calls for your existing numbers to your temporary Ooma numbers during the transition so you could go ahead and set it up the way you want.

Also, if you have any general tips to help me make the switch it would be greatly appreciated, being that i don't have much knowledge with phone systems and wiring. Thank you.