Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#29523 by new-frog
Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:54 pm
Hi everyone:

I have a new hub/scout which I activated last week, and everything works great. I plan to port my landline number to Ooma and then drop my land line but keep my AT&T DSL. My research shows that my DSL line need to be changed to a 'dry loop' set up.

But it looks as though there is a specific sequence of events that must be followed in order to minimize the hassle. Otherwise it looks like it can be a PITA.

On this page, http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r196102 ... t-question, a helpful person named justmb, created the following list of instructions back in December, 2007. This particular set involves the CallVantage VOIP service, but you can ignore that part, as well as the outdated rate info.

Do others agree that this process works with Ooma and their porting process? I came across a different number to call to dry loop your service than the one above, 800-288-2020.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

These are my end-user observations on an AT&T "Dry Loop DSL" switch over.

This procedure lets you keep your existing DSL line and landline active until the Dry DSL is completely activated and usable. Further, I explain the earliest I was able to order Callvantage with the new Dry Loop DSL line.

Step 0) Prior to all of this, call AT&T and decombine your AT&T landline, wireless, and DSL bills. Combined billing tends to add delays in each step, by 1-5 business days (if you are doing this when a paper bill is being generated and sent to you.)

1) Call the "AT&T Switch Department" Phone Number - 1-888-800-4095 (Hours M-F 8am-9pm) Order "Dry Loop Express DSL" for 23.99 "DSL Direct" 1.5mbit. $28.99 for Pro 3.0mbit. They have a special promo for AT&T Wireless customers or if you want to add a wireless phone, by combining your AT&T Wireless bill with your DSL, you can save $4 per month. If you have AT&T wireless already, ask for the $4 combined bill discount. They will give you the Dry Loop Account number during this call. Write it down for future reference.

2) Your house wiring should be setup such that the second pair of wire into your house will become your new Dry Loop DSL line. Otherwise, if they have to send an installer to rewire your home, expect a $115 installation charge. Given that if one were to activate normal landline service on the second pair of wire, there is no installation charge, one could take an extra week to setup a temporary landline on the second pair, after it has been activated and you get ringtone, immediately setup setup Dry DSL on that line. This will save you approx $80. ($115- $35 land line activation - prorating for time that line is "live".)

3) Wait for the Dry Loop to go 'live'. You will know, because your DSL modem will have a green "DSL" light. Perform 'sbcyahooreg' registration, it may show the landline DSL phone number associated with the sbcyahoo account (instead of the Dry Loop DSL's account number). Login with PPPoE login and password of your landline account to confirm connectivity.

4) Call the same day as the Dry Loop activated (since it takes 1 to 2 days to completely cancel the landline DSL), call 877-722-3755 "Cancel group" (Hours: m-f 7-9 sat 8-5p). Remove your existing DSL from landline, since the Dry Loop is setup and "provisioned" but not "registered". Although it showed my existing landline number when 'registering' the Dry DSL, that's ok, since I need to cancel my existing landline's DSL to free up the dsl sbcyahoo account's registered DSL number.

5) Cancel takes 1-2 business days. First day, you're unregistered, 2nd day, your cancel "completes". On the second day, when you perform the 'sbcyahooreg' registration, you will now be able to associate your att/yahoo account to the new Dry Loop DSL number. Call 888-800-4095, if you have problems.

6) Optionally, now, you can order AT&T Callvantage with number portability of your landline #. Prior to this stage, attempting to quality for AT&T Callvantage would result in rejection, because the landline account has not been unassociated from the DSL account yet. There is also a $4 discount when you sign up for Callvantage right now if you are a AT&T Wireless subscriber.

7) If you are with AT&T for the landline, a 'your number is portable' email should arrive within 1-2 business days. The same email tells you the Telephone Adapter (TA) is on its way, and to connect it the day you get it. The time estimate for me was 7 business days (likely 3 for fedex shipment of TA + 4 days prior to "live" date.)

8) Connect the TA, sign into the callvantage.att.com website to perform activation. Whallah, on the day your number is finally "ported" you will be making calls out via your Callvantage account, and your landline will account will automatically cancel itself upon completion of the port to your callvantage account.

Your SBC Yahoo account remains the same if you followed my directions above. If you created a new account via the sbcyahooreg page, you will likely need to go back to the DSL department 888-800-4095 to straighten things out.

In the end:

19.99 Dry Loop DSL Express: $24.99 - $4 combined billing with AT&T wireless number.
19.99 Callvantage unlimited: $24.99 - $4 because of AT&T Internet Services account + typical E911 fee + taxes.

One time fees: ($49.99 or more for DSL modem, unless you have one already, no discounts on the modem for Dry DSL) $29.99 Callvantage Activation, $9.95 Telephone Adapter Shipping.

--justmb
#38190 by associate
Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:50 am
I am in the process of discontinuing my AT&T home phone service and porting my phone number to Ooma. Such conversions reduce AT&T's profits, so they have apparently made policy changes intended to make converting phone service to VoIP providers more difficult.

My intent with this posting is to provide simple guidance for others converting from AT&T phone and DSL to an AT&T dry-loop DSL -- and porting their phone number to Ooma VoIP. I want you to avoid the frustrating difficulties I've endured.

My situation: AT&T phone and DSL on the same account number.
. . . . . . Converting to AT&T dry loop DSL, a.k.a. DSL Direct.

Caveat 1: This posting is NOT relevant if your AT&T phone and DSL are on separate account numbers.

Caveat 2: This posting is NOT relevant if your VoIP will be running on an Internet Service Provider (ISP) other than AT&T,
e.g. cable or wireless Internet.

Apparent AT&T policy changes:
1) AT&T (in the Midwest) will NOT split your AT&T phone and DST into two separate accounts. Nor will AT&T create a temporary account to hold your phone number during the porting process.
2) AT&T will NOT allow you to order dry-loop DSL while you have AT&T phone service.
Personal comment: My opinion is these apparent policy changes create a catch-22 that make converting phone service to a VoIP provider without an outage potentially difficult. Anti-competitive practices are unethical and possibly illegal. AT&T has an expensive solution to the problem they have (intentionally?) created: U-verse. BUT you don't want uVerse because it could degrade your excellent Ooma voice quality (more later).

THE SOLUTION to this conundrum

SOLUTION STEP 1) Directly contact other high-speed Internet service providers in your area. Ask them: a) how much monthly service costs; b) promotions or discounts; c) installation charges; and d) when could their service be installed. ('Authorized resellers' and 'distributors' typically offer lower initial rates, but much higher long-term rates.) Why is this step first? Because AT&T will do whatever it can to preserve the profits from your phone service. So, you need to have your 'Plan B' ready before you try to partially separate from this behemoth.

SOLUTION STEP 2) Submit your porting request to Ooma. Let them know you have AT&T phone and DSL on the same account number. (This posting is not applicable if your AT&T phone and DSL are on separate account numbers.) In my experience, Ooma provides official porting confirmation in one week, and an estimated porting date within two weeks.
When you receive your official porting confirmation from Ooma, let the Ooma porting team know that you need the estimated porting date ASAP because your AT&T phone and DSL are on the same account.

SOLUTION STEP 3) Contact AT&T to order your 'dry loop' DSL ASAP AFTER you have received your estimated porting date. DO NOT contact AT&T as an existing customer with an existing account number and phone #. Rather, contact AT&T as if you are a NEW CUSTOMER, because (as of the porting date) you really will be a 'new' customer. Ask for a new account with only dry loop DSL. You will get a new account number. You want the DSL Direct installed on your estimated porting date. If that date isn't available, then you want it installed ASAP AFTER your estimated porting date.

CRITICALLY IMPORTANT: Do NOT try to modify your current AT&T service under your old account number. Rather, let your old account and service die (via porting). Set up what you want under your new AT&T account. This will avoid hours of grief and days/weeks of stress.

SOLUTION STEP 4) You only need this step IF your dry-loop install date is AFTER your estimated porting date. If so, contact the Ooma porting team and ask them to work with AT&T to delay your porting to match your dry loop install date.
Tip: Do NOT ask AT&T to delay your porting date; they legally can't. Ooma can.

That's it. You're done. On the porting date, AT&T will stop your old account, your AT&T home phone, and DSL. Ooma will take this phone number. AT&T will install DST direct using your new account number. Finally, Ooma will call and verify that everything is OK with your new VoIP phone service.

KEY SUCCESS FACTORS:
1) Do not try to modify your existing AT&T account as AT&T policies will make this difficult and expensive. (In my case, I was going to be without phone or DSL for 20 to 27 days (!!!) if I did not order U-verse for $45+ per month plus $149 installation.)
2) Be prepared to leave AT&T for another Internet Service Provider (Plan B).
#38191 by associate
Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:52 am
Why I did NOT choose AT&T Uverse for my high-speed Internet

Short answer: To preserve Quality of Service (QoS) for Ooma VoIP.

Long answer: Ooma's voice quality is great because Ooma prioritizes transport of your phone conversation over the Internet. Just like an emergency ambulance service has priority over other automobile traffic. The content has to get there fast for quality service to be successful.
The problem with Uverse is that AT&T owns this road. So uverse TV and uverse phone traffic will be prioritized over Ooma VoIP. This is not a violation of the net neutrality laws because Ooma VoIP traffic appears as ordinary computer communication to Uverse, and slight delays in ordinary computer communication (e.g. Web surfing) are acceptable.
#39871 by 7704951871
Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:05 pm
Thanks for the "how to". The one instruction I don't quite understand is where you say to call in as a new customer and not as an existing customer. How can you do this - as soon as you provide your name and address, won't AT&T immediately be able to determine that you already have their service at that address?

Another question; If I go ahead and start the porting process and get an estimated date for the port, can I not call as an existing customer and ask AT&T to change my current Voice + DSL service into dry-loop DSL on that date?

What is the worst that can happen if I can't get those dates synchronized?
#40190 by QCJLo
Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:45 pm
7704951871 wrote:Thanks for the "how to". The one instruction I don't quite understand is where you say to call in as a new customer and not as an existing customer. How can you do this - as soon as you provide your name and address, won't AT&T immediately be able to determine that you already have their service at that address?

Another question; If I go ahead and start the porting process and get an estimated date for the port, can I not call as an existing customer and ask AT&T to change my current Voice + DSL service into dry-loop DSL on that date?

What is the worst that can happen if I can't get those dates synchronized?

Bump.

I'm looking for answers to these questions as well.
#40199 by germ
Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:54 pm
Apparent AT&T policy changes:
1) [...]
2) AT&T will NOT allow you to order dry-loop DSL while you have AT&T phone service.

This is most definitely not true, at least in CA. I just did exactly that and they installed the dry-loop DSL just fine.