Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#29216 by rtrugman
Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:50 am
I don't have a wall jack because I've been using Vonage on my cable and I've disconnected my land line. I'm getting blinking red on my tab. Will Ooma work with no land line and a direct connection through the cable modem?
#29217 by Wilsonium
Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:05 am
I currently have an Ooma hub connected to the internet without a landline and it works great. I also connected the "Wall" port on the hub to one of my phone jacks so that I could connect any phone to any jack in my home and the hub takes care of the rest. I also use 2 scouts in a couple of bedrooms so they can take advantage of private numbers and voicemail. It all sounds complicated but if you take care when you set it up it's a piece of cake.

All that said, you should be fine with just a direct connection. Before I fully integrated my hub I just had a phone connected to my hub and my hub was connected to my internet modem.
#29218 by murphy
Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:16 am
rtrugman wrote:I don't have a wall jack because I've been using Vonage on my cable and I've disconnected my land line. I'm getting blinking red on my tab. Will Ooma work with no land line and a direct connection through the cable modem?

It will as long as you registered to use the unit without a land line. If you registered it to use with a land line you will have to call customer support and have them change your configuration to use without a land line.
#29236 by southsound
Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:40 am
Wilsonium wrote:I currently have an Ooma hub connected to the internet without a landline and it works great. I also connected the "Wall" port on the hub to one of my phone jacks so that I could connect any phone to any jack in my home and the hub takes care of the rest. I also use 2 scouts in a couple of bedrooms so they can take advantage of private numbers and voicemail. It all sounds complicated but if you take care when you set it up it's a piece of cake.

Sorry, Wilsonium, but just a little misinformation given here. The "wall" port is only for two functions - to integrate with an existing landline or to communicate with the scouts (hub only). The "phone" port can power your home with dialtone with or without additional scouts in the network. You can connect a scout to the "wall" port (hub only) and use it for easy voicemail access or with Premier, instant second line or a second line. The "wall" connection uses HPNA to communicate and does not work well when combined with a DSL signal - so it is best to use a "clean" pair of wires to connect up the scouts.
#29284 by Wilsonium
Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:33 am
southsound wrote:
Wilsonium wrote:I currently have an Ooma hub connected to the internet without a landline and it works great. I also connected the "Wall" port on the hub to one of my phone jacks so that I could connect any phone to any jack in my home and the hub takes care of the rest. I also use 2 scouts in a couple of bedrooms so they can take advantage of private numbers and voicemail. It all sounds complicated but if you take care when you set it up it's a piece of cake.

Sorry, Wilsonium, but just a little misinformation given here. The "wall" port is only for two functions - to integrate with an existing landline or to communicate with the scouts (hub only). The "phone" port can power your home with dialtone with or without additional scouts in the network. You can connect a scout to the "wall" port (hub only) and use it for easy voicemail access or with Premier, instant second line or a second line. The "wall" connection uses HPNA to communicate and does not work well when combined with a DSL signal - so it is best to use a "clean" pair of wires to connect up the scouts.

Dang it... I hate it when I'm wrong. But in my defense it was very late for me and wasn't thinking clearly. You are right... I do have 2 separate lines in the house that are active. One for the scouts and one for the dial tone. I'm just going to have to get to bed at a decent humanly hour.