Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#28889 by Trinimd
Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:58 am
I currently have VONAGE and the whole house is hooked up with vonage.

The removed the line that was coming from att from the street to the box on the side of my house.

When I plug on the vonage line into one outlet in the house all the other lines have dial tone with vonage service.

Can I do this with the Ooma?
#28893 by daet
Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:02 pm
Trinimd wrote:I currently have VONAGE and the whole house is hooked up with vonage.

The removed the line that was coming from att from the street to the box on the side of my house.

When I plug on the vonage line into one outlet in the house all the other lines have dial tone with vonage service.

Can I do this with the Ooma?

Yes. Run a cord from the Ooma "phone" plug to your wall outlet.

DG
#28894 by Groundhound
Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:02 pm
Yes, the phone port on both the Hub and the Telo can supply dial tone to all your house jacks in the same way. In addition, the Hub/Scout combination can supply dial tone to 2 lines in your house wiring if you are subscribed to Premier.
#28908 by Trinimd
Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:51 pm
Ah ok got it. thanks
#29660 by highdesert999
Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:42 pm
Are you saying your Vonage is still hooked up? The reason I ask, my Vonage system is upstairs where my internet access is, I would like my Telo downstairs.
#29664 by Groundhound
Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:41 pm
highdesert999 wrote:Are you saying your Vonage is still hooked up? The reason I ask, my Vonage system is upstairs where my internet access is, I would like my Telo downstairs.

I think the OP intended to replace Vonage with Ooma and just wanted to know if he could connect the phone line in his house the same way. Do you intend to keep Vonage and Ooma? Your Telo must be connected to either your modem or router via Ethernet cable, but you can extend dial tone to other jacks in your home if you have an available wire pair in your home wiring that is not in use.
#29694 by BlueHeeler
Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:46 pm
If I have DSL with data only. Can I feed Ooma through a filtered jack to enable the lines through the house? Obviously I can rewire the phone jacks to use the secondary wire for Ooma and leave DSL on the primary, but I'm renting a place and would rather not rewire someone else's home.
#29701 by Groundhound
Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:09 pm
BlueHeeler wrote:If I have DSL with data only. Can I feed Ooma through a filtered jack to enable the lines through the house? Obviously I can rewire the phone jacks to use the secondary wire for Ooma and leave DSL on the primary, but I'm renting a place and would rather not rewire someone else's home.

Should work OK if you're feeding dial tone from Ooma's phone port and not trying to connect a Hub & Scout together over a line carrying DSL.
#29702 by murphy
Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:14 pm
BlueHeeler wrote:If I have DSL with data only. Can I feed Ooma through a filtered jack to enable the lines through the house? Obviously I can rewire the phone jacks to use the secondary wire for Ooma and leave DSL on the primary, but I'm renting a place and would rather not rewire someone else's home.

Assuming the house is wired to support two lines, get two L1, L2, L1+L2 triplex adapters. That will give you access to the second line wiring without needing any modifications to the house wiring.
#29703 by BlueHeeler
Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:20 pm
Thanks...that helps. Wasn't sure if the filter would work in reverse from what was intended. Good to know.

I should have thought through this earlier, before I posted, but assuming the house is wired to standard, I can probably do one of the following.

1. Use a two line splitter on the ports needing Ooma service and feed the Ooma Hub phone port through line 2.
2. Feed Ooma phone port into DSL filter on line 1 and then Ooma wall port into 2nd line, giving Ooma Hub dial tone on line 1 and access to a scout somewhere else in the house on line 2.
3. Feed Ooma phone port into DSL filter on line 1, Ooma wall port directly to Scout wall port and then plug Scout phone port into line 2, giving Hub dial tone on line 1 and Scout dial tone on line 2.
Last edited by BlueHeeler on Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests