Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#28754 by wahmie
Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:43 pm
I'm trying to decide which system will work for my SOHO's multiple line needs.

My current configuration and needs are...
1. I need 911 support - It doesn't look like I can make 911 calls with the Hub. Is this correct?

2. I have 1 phone line for home and 2 SOHO phone lines connected to a 4-line phone (AT&T 964); and a couple of cordless phones in the home for personal use. My 4-line phone has a Line 1/2 jack and Line 3/4 jack. The wall jack near my cable modem and router has 2 ports - One port carries my 2 business lines and connects to Line 1/2 of my phone; the other carries my personal line and connects to line 3/4 of my phone. I imagine I'd use line 1/2 for both the phone and wall jack for ooma. Can ooma work with this kind of wall jack and phone?

3. My business calls go directly to a virtual pbx (gotvmail) and routes my calls to my home phone or other calls to my staff's phones. My business fax line forwards to a virtual fax line too - forwards automatically to myfax.com so my faxes come via email to me and my staff. Will I be able to forward all incoming calls for my business phone & fax # 's to go to my virtual pbx and virtual fax system? I know its a lot of forwarding going on, but I preferred to keep my phone/fax #'s and change forwarding whenever I have to change voicemail or fax providers.

I'm leaning toward the Telo with disconnected phone lines. But I've looked at the back of the Telo and Hub. None of them have a jack for a second line. So I'm not sure how my live 2nd and 3rd lines will be configured to work with ooma.

Anywho, Since I don't want to change my business phone/fax #'s. Would I simply have those numbers ported over to Ooma as well? One of ooma's videos said I could have up to 10 phone #'s. But it looked like they had to be created through ooma's add a line feature. I didn't see much documentation about porting multiple phone.

I'm looking forward to saving $200+ per month!
#28764 by Groundhound
Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:05 pm
Replies in blue, and assume Premier level service:

wahmie wrote:I'm trying to decide which system will work for my SOHO's multiple line needs.

My current configuration and needs are...
1. I need 911 support - It doesn't look like I can make 911 calls with the Hub. Is this correct? No, you can make 911 calls with either the Hub or Telo.

2. I have 1 phone line for home and 2 SOHO phone lines connected to a 4-line phone (AT&T 964); and a couple of cordless phones in the home for personal use. My 4-line phone has a Line 1/2 jack and Line 3/4 jack. The wall jack near my cable modem and router has 2 ports - One port carries my 2 business lines and connects to Line 1/2 of my phone; the other carries my personal line and connects to line 3/4 of my phone. I imagine I'd use line 1/2 for both the phone and wall jack for ooma. Can ooma work with this kind of wall jack and phone? The Hub can supply dial tone to two lines for your existing phones by incorporating a scout assigned to the second line. The Telo supplies wired dial tone to one line for your existing phones while the cordless Telo handset can handle both lines. Telo does not allow wired simultaneous connections to both lines, simultaneous access to the second line requires at least one cordless Telo handset in addition to your existing phone.

3. My business calls go directly to a virtual pbx (gotvmail) and routes my calls to my home phone or other calls to my staff's phones. My business fax line forwards to a virtual fax line too - forwards automatically to myfax.com so my faxes come via email to me and my staff. Will I be able to forward all incoming calls for my business phone & fax # 's to go to my virtual pbx and virtual fax system? I know its a lot of forwarding going on, but I preferred to keep my phone/fax #'s and change forwarding whenever I have to change voicemail or fax providers. At present, call forwarding for both Hub and Telo require the party answering the forwarded call to "press 1" to have the call connected, except when a call is forwarded due to a network outage on the Hub or Telo. Ooma has indicated that they plan to make "press 1" optional but to date that has not happened.

I'm leaning toward the Telo with disconnected phone lines. But I've looked at the back of the Telo and Hub. None of them have a jack for a second line. So I'm not sure how my live 2nd and 3rd lines will be configured to work with ooma. See No. 2

Anywho, Since I don't want to change my business phone/fax #'s. Would I simply have those numbers ported over to Ooma as well? One of ooma's videos said I could have up to 10 phone #'s. But it looked like they had to be created through ooma's add a line feature. I didn't see much documentation about porting multiple phone. You can port multiple numbers, but remember only two calls may be connected at the same time.

I'm looking forward to saving $200+ per month!
#28809 by doug
Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:23 am
wahmie wrote:1. I need 911 support - It doesn't look like I can make 911 calls with the Hub. Is this correct?

As you already discovered, the hub does support e911 in the same manner as the Telo. With either hardware, if you do *not* use landline integration then 911 calls must route through ooma. This means there are several potential points of failure. For example, your ooma hub / telo must have power (or be on a UPS). Ditto for your broadband modem and any network components such as a router or switch ahead of the ooma. Your broadband must be working, and the ooma server itself must be operational. With landline integration, as long as the landline still has dial tone you can call 911. Most wired phones do not even need power to place a call. Most cordless bases do.

If minimizing 911 points of failure is a priority for you, you may want to consider leaving one of your lines with landline integration.

wahmie wrote:2. I have 1 phone line for home and 2 SOHO phone lines ... One of ooma's videos said I could have up to 10 phone #'s

Do you need the potential for three independent calls to be happening at once? If so, you will need two hubs or two telos or one of each. With premier service, each unit can have up to 10 phone numbers assigned, allowing you a local number presence in multiple areas of the country, but only two calls can be active at any given time. A second number is included with premiere; each additional number costs $4.99 per month (but does not give an additional line).

With the hub / scout combination, you can feed a wire from each into an adapter then into a multiline phone as pairs 1&2 or 3&4. With the telo, access to the "instant second line" is only possible via the telo handsets. At least in the current firmware. So if you are intending to feed a multiline system, the hub / scout may be more suitable for your needs.
#28852 by wahmie
Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:55 am
Thanks for your suggestions.

I think I've resolved # 2 issue by porting my business phone and fax to the virtual service providers for virtual pbx and internet faxing. Although I just found out AT&T has me locked in contract through the automatic renewal. Will try to get out of it; or just keep one live line.

I'm adding the UPS for the modem, Telo and cordless base unit.

I'm off to buy my Ooma Telo!