Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#28379 by Smidgerine
Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:07 pm
So, my number just got ported today and now my old Bellsouth line seems to be dead (even though I haven't terminated service). So, I have several things I wanted to tackle, but the first is getting my Ooma phone to ring. Everything seems to go straight to Ooma voicemail. I'm not sure why it's not ringing as I get an Ooma dialtone and can dial out without any problems.

The next thing I wanted to tackle was hooking up all my phones. I do have a scout, but I really didn't think I needed to use it, so it's not hooked up now. I had planned on putting the "Phone" outlet on the Ooma hub connected to one of my wall jacks. I thought that would then feed all my other wall jacks and just attach all the phones like I had done with the regular landline, but that doesn't seem to work. Maybe I need to unattach telco wires outside the house???

Also, once I get this working, am I now free to terminate my Bellsouth (now ATT) landline? Thanks in advance for any help!
#28404 by murphy
Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:31 am
Yes, disconnect the Telephone company line at the interface box if you want to feed your wall jacks. You do not have to cancel your telco account. The port will automatically cancel the account. Make sure the "envelope" key is not red. If it is, press and hold until it goes out.
#28414 by hpepper
Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:38 am
Sometimes number ports can take half a day - up to 8 or 9 hours before complete.

Also, what number shows up when you dial out with Ooma, say, to a cell phone? Does it show your ported phone number yet?
#29084 by Smidgerine
Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:24 am
Well, I'm back (slightly) after a sinus infection. My number is ringing now and caller id does show it to be the right number.

I'm still having trouble with feeding the wall jacks. I thought feeding it would feed all the jacks in my house, but that doesn't seem to be working like I thought it would. I have the Ooma in my kitchen. When I fed it into the wall jack there, I could see attach a phone in the master bedroom and it would work, but I couldn't find anywhere else it would work. Now, I think this is because the line to the bedroom was run as a tap off from the kitchen. But, I'm not understanding why it's not feeding it back at teh telco box.

I thought all I had to do at the telco box was take this one plastic piece out from the jack in the box, but that didn't seem to work. I guess the other thing that I now should say is that I also have an alarm. But, I thought the alarm had a direct line run to it. I am not sure how to test if the alarm has a dial tone. I sort of doubt it does. Maybe I need to call the alarm guy.

Maybe I should take a picture of the telco box and upload it and someone can help me better.
#29096 by murphy
Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:56 am
If your alarm was wired properly, the incoming telco phone line went direct to the alarm panel on 2 wires of a 4 wire cable. It then came back from the alarm panel on the other two wires of the 4 wire cable. Those second 2 wires were used to distribute dial tone to the rest of the house. The only way your alarm will work is if you run the phone jack from the ooma direct to the telco box and connect it to the 2 wires that used to plug into the telco phone line. Until that is done, your alarm is not monitored and should get an error the next time it tries to check-in with the alarm monitoring station. Could be 1 day, 1 week, or 4 weeks depending on how the check-in was programmed. Your alarm panel will also need to be programmed to put a *99 pause dialing prefix before the alarm station phone number.
#29689 by Smidgerine
Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:35 pm

Thanks so much for your assistance. I called the alarm guy out yesterday because I don't have access to the panel. Anyhow, in the same location I have the security panel I have all my ethernet, NAS, router, etc. I ran all the cable for that when the house was being built, so I know what I did there. I just don't know what the builder did.

So, I came out of the ooma phone port and spliced the phone cable and attached it to the security system "telco" spots. This is where the blue/bluewhite had been attached (actually it looked red/green, but I traced it to blue, bluewhite on the Cat 5 cable that the builder had put there). Then I ran the Phone ports on the security system back through what I think were orange/orangewhite. This part was really unchanged. I just attached those cables back as it were.

The GE security system could dial out and it would sometimes work. I need to figure out how to put a delay in the alarm system dial out because I think that's why it would work sometimes and not other times. The alarm system would not allow for a * entry. At least it wouldn't allow the alarm guy to do it. I haven't tried to fool with that yet.

Here's my problem though: when I didn't have the phone ports of the security system running back to orange/orangewhite, none of my wall jack outlets in my house worked. OK, I did expect that. However, when I have the phone ports running back to orange/orangewhite I have 5 wall jacks that work and 3 that are dead. Now, as far as I know, all of my wall jacks HAD been working before the landline was shut off (well, at least two or three weeks ago). The wall jacks that aren't working were not ones that I used very often, though. But, why would these outlets be dead now? The only thing I can come up with is that my alarm was not wired properly. Where I live that really doesn't surprise me too much. I actually think I recall being on the phone one time when the alarm was trying to dial out. From what I have gathered from previous posts, though, the alarm should have disconnected me and dialed out and it didn't do that. So, what that makes me think is that maybe those 3 outlets that are dead are on my blue/bluewhite connection. So, if I go outside and connect the blue/bluewhite to orange/orangewhite I think it should turn those back on. However, it's raining heavily right now, and I hate to go out there and fool with things and mess them up, so I thought I'd post first and see. Do you think this will work?

Thanks and sorry to be so longwinded, but I wanted to try and make sure everything was clear.

Also, has anybody upgraded to a GSM alarm callback? I'll save the upgrade costs because of Ooma, and it seems more secure. If I was going to burglarize something, I'd certainly cut the phone line first thing. But, I don't know if the GSM upgrade will work well, and I hate to spend the money if it doesn't.
#29696 by murphy
Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:01 pm
I don't know GE alarm systems but on an ademco alarm system a 2 second pause is coded by entering #13 and the asterisk (*) is coded by entering #11. The alarm guy needs a refresher course in how to read the installation manual.

It does sound like your house is (was) partially wired wrong.
From what you have said I can't make any recommendations based on wire colors.
It's fairly straight forward. The wire pair that comes back from the alarm panel has to be connected to all of the phone jacks in your house. Finding out which wire goes to which jack is not difficult but it can be time consuming. To make life easier in the future, get yourself some durable labels that can be attached to the wires to indicate where they go in the house.
Disconnect the phone wire from your hub while changing the wire connections. If the phone rings while your fingers are across the wires you will feel it since the ring voltage is about 96 volts AC.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests