Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#28131 by Alfredo
Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:56 am
Groundhound wrote:
Alfredo wrote:Thank you, I will check and post what I find. The one thing that I noticed was maybe something inherent with this type of phone connection, I heard a little noise on the line, like a low level buzzing which I assume is bleed-over from the circuitry around this. I have tested my AC wireless phone on an AT&T landline from my old house and it had no noise. I hope this is normal or I have a bad unit.

As a test, try preceding the number dialed with *99pause. If the problem goes away I think a fix is in the works.

Thank you, I will try. I am not sure what this does, is this some type of special reset to the Ooma device which re-calibrates the unit? I appreciate your feedback as I don't want to go through the hassle of exchanging the device.
#28134 by Neubiee
Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:02 am
Alfredo,
Where did you buy your unit from? If it's from a big box retailer or amazon.com it should be fairly simple to exchange it.
It might also be in your interest to report it to OOMA. Just shoot them an email with your MAC Address number/phone number along with a brief description stating that your connections are reversed!
#28138 by Alfredo
Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:07 am
Groundhound wrote:When you use *99 as a prefix, it forces the use of the G.711 codec. This is a software issue and Ooma is making constant improvements which are automatically downloaded.

Thanks for the info. Good to know. I will try to program on my phone. It would be nice if Ooma set-up offered some type of web configuration where we could program this ( i.e *99pause) so then it would set our unit to use this, like a type of remote push technology where we would send user specified configurations to our device.
#28141 by Groundhound
Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:10 am
Alfredo wrote:Thanks for the info. Good to know. I will try to program on my phone. It would be nice if Ooma set-up offered some type of web configuration where we could program this ( i.e *99pause) so then it would set our unit to use this, like a type of remote push technology where we would send user specified configurations to our device.

Right now you can only use *99 on a per call basis, but that may change in the near future.
#28150 by Alfredo
Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:19 am
Neubiee wrote:Alfredo,
Where did you buy your unit from? If it's from a big box retailer or amazon.com it should be fairly simple to exchange it.
It might also be in your interest to report it to OOMA. Just shoot them an email with your MAC Address number/phone number along with a brief description stating that your connections are reversed!

Hi Neubiee, thanks for your feedback. I got it at Best Buy. Hmm, I will see tonight what the MAC Address number number is. Is this address posted on the bottom of my unit? Where should I email? I did not see any obvious place to file an issue in the website, but I have not been able to see all as I am a new user.

Thank you
#28583 by mschuller
Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:50 am
I suspect your problem arises from how you answered questions during Activation and can be cured by calling customer service and telling them you want to use Ooma without being connected to landline wiring. If you didn't choose a Temp Number or if you chose to use your existing landline, you could end up with this problem.

To solve it immediately, plug a telephone into the "phone" port hole on the Ooma and also plug one end of a telephone cord into the "wall" port hole on the Ooma and the other end into a telephone jack on your wall, your phone will work and you can call customer service. If your Tab isn't glowing Blue, you may have to unplug modem Ooma router computer and restart everything.
#28584 by Groundhound
Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:56 am
mschuller wrote:I suspect your problem arises from how you answered questions during Activation and can be cured by calling customer service and telling them you want to use Ooma without being connected to landline wiring. If you didn't choose a Temp Number or if you chose to use your existing landline, you could end up with this problem.

To solve it immediately, plug a telephone into the "phone" port hole on the Ooma and also plug one end of a telephone cord into the "wall" port hole on the Ooma and the other end into a telephone jack on your wall, your phone will work and you can call customer service. If your Tab isn't glowing Blue, you may have to unplug modem Ooma router computer and restart everything.

I don't think that's the problem in this case. If you go back and read the OP's first post, you'll find he's getting dial tone off the "Wall" port - something that shouldn't happen no matter how he activated it.
#28615 by Alfredo
Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:21 pm
Thank you all for the responses and support. I was able to understand how the WALL and PHONE ports are used. The explanation after calling to a Customer Support rep was very clear and I found out that the noise problem was because of my bad wire ( not phone). I also inquired about the *99pause and he mentioned that this is used for FAX calls. The purpose of this *99 is to disable the call-waiting feature which may interrupt the call when someone calls while faxing and this causes the FAX to error. All my issues have been resolved.

Thanks,
Alfredo ;)