Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#27513 by kcon
Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:35 am
Pls HELP! Last night, tech support told me how to set up Telo in a different room than the modem and router. Per their inx, I disabled the router firewall and connected the Telo last night around 8 pm. The blue logo light on the Telo has been flashing ever since. It is the only light lit. I chose to integrate Telo with our home phone # in order to test it out. Our accocunt shows that it is activated however, we are not receiving the Ooma dial tone. When we get a dial tone at all, there is a clicking noise that is in sync with the flashing blue light on Telo. I called tech support twice today from my cell phone and they were completely useless. They left me on hold many times. The calls lasted about an hour. I notice I am getting the same "canned" response from the tech support people in Manilla, so I asked to speak to a Supervisor or Manager in the US. After being placed on hold yet again for 10 - 15 minutes, I was told no one was available but they would call me back. They had no idea how long it would take for the call back. Any suggestions??!!
#27517 by WayneDsr
Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:59 am
Can you, just for the time being, put the Telo next to the modem and router? Do you have a phone connection there?

What you need to do is connect your network as usual. Make sure you have internet. Make sure the Telo is off, plug it into your router. Your phone line (if you are provisioned to use WITH a landline) must be connected to the Wall port on the Telo.
The Telo should be plugged into your router via the TO INTERNET port. Nothing is connected to the HOME/NETWORK port.
Turn on the Telo. The object here is to allow your router to assign the Telo an ip, so you might even have to power cycle the router and Telo at first, but not always. If you can connect the Telo in this way, you should be able to connect and get the firmware download, which takes around 30 minutes.

Wayne

EDIT. Oops, I didn't see you respond GH!
#27548 by kcon
Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:35 am
The Telo is connected via cat5 wire "To Internet", the phone base station is connected to the Telo via "phone" , the Telo is connected to the wall phone outlet via "Wall" and, of course, the power cord is plugged into the Telo. All per the inx of Ooma tech. The cat 5 connection is live with internet access as we have used it with laptops without wi-fi. I am using the wireless router with my MacBook Pro for internet access. The laptop is on the desk with the Telo. I did reboot the modem and router last night after connecting the Telo.
#27556 by WayneDsr
Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:59 am
Just for clarity, the wireless router is in bridge mode? I would imagine it is, since 2 routers don't do well connected to each other.
This setup sounds ok... is your telo getting an ip from the main router?
Go into the Telo setup by connecting your laptop to the HOME/NETWORK port and typing http://setup.ooma.com

Let us know what it says, you should see the ip assigned by your router on the setup STATUS page.

Wayne

By the way, DSL or Cable?
#27592 by kcon
Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:57 pm
HI Wayne,
I do not know what a bridge mode is. I connected my laptop to Telo as you suggested and went to setup. It said "Safari can't find the server". I am using cable. My laptop is still connected via wireless.
#27597 by WayneDsr
Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:17 pm
Well if your laptop is working from your wireless then I guess you're ok.
Let's see if I see you network right. You have a modem and a router in one room.
Cat 5 runs to another room where you have a wireless router connected.
How do you have the wireless router connected?
Bridge mode means that you are not using the router as a router, but as an access point for your wireless. No ip's are handed out by that router. So ooma should be receiving an ip from the router in the other room.

On the STATUS page under MODEM: it should say CONNECTED: and an ip address.

Do I have your network setup correct in my mind?

Wayne
#27598 by kcon
Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:23 pm
Wayne,
Can you call me? We are wasting valuable time going back and forth. I hv no dial tone at the moment. You can call me on my cell which is listed as the contact number for my Ooma ac. I do not hv a second router. Only the modem and router in the closet as I described earlier.
#27602 by Aveamantium
Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:48 pm
kcon wrote:Wayne,
Can you call me? We are wasting valuable time going back and forth. I hv no dial tone at the moment. You can call me on my cell which is listed as the contact number for my Ooma ac. I do not hv a second router. Only the modem and router in the closet as I described earlier.

Wayne doesn't work for Ooma... He is just one of the wonderful owners of Ooma that like to check in here and help where they can.