Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#26460 by kcman1651
Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:18 pm
I would like to ask a few questions before getting Ooma. I use Time Warner cable for my Internet service.

How reliable has the Ooma service been over the past 6months to 1 year?

Do you really need a Scout to utilize other phone jacks in the house? I have read conflicting statements on this forum.

Is the sound quality really as good as a land line?

How to handle the Direct TV requirement for a phone jack?

Any problems with Ooma and Google Voice?

Is Ooma a financially sound company that will be in business in future years?

Would you buy Ooma again?
#26470 by Groundhound
Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:02 pm
kcman1651 wrote:I would like to ask a few questions before getting Ooma. I use Time Warner cable for my Internet service.

How reliable has the Ooma service been over the past 6months to 1 year? There was an outage in mid April, I think. Very reliable otherwise.

Do you really need a Scout to utilize other phone jacks in the house? I have read conflicting statements on this forum. Not for Ooma Core with one line, you can power all your jacks from the hub.

Is the sound quality really as good as a land line? Yes, if your Internet connection is solid.

How to handle the Direct TV requirement for a phone jack? Depends on if you're just using DirecTv for CallerID info on the receiver or for it to connect back to DirecTv

Any problems with Ooma and Google Voice? No

Is Ooma a financially sound company that will be in business in future years? Ooma is a privately held company, so financial reports are not public. They have received more VC funding recently, so the sources of that funding like their prospects.

Would you buy Ooma again? Yes.
#26471 by southsound
Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:08 pm
Just my opinions below in red. Note that I do not work for ooma (something about their minumum height requirement and raccoons just aren't tall enough). :P
kcman1651 wrote:I would like to ask a few questions before getting Ooma. I use Time Warner cable for my Internet service.
If your service is good with Time Warner you should have no problems. You might want to run a speedtest several times to see how it will be for VOIP. http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html

How reliable has the Ooma service been over the past 6months to 1 year?
ooma had one outage back in April. It was caused by a network outage that I believe took out blackberry too. It lasted quite a while - I think about 8 hours. On the other hand, my local Qwest landline went out for 5 days due to a squirrel chewing a fiber cable. During that time my ooma was my connection to the world.

Do you really need a Scout to utilize other phone jacks in the house? I have read conflicting statements on this forum.
No. Many of us run our entire home using the "phone" port on the back of the hub or new Telo. Of course, you wll want to make sure you house wiring is disconnected from the local utility to prevent backfeed or interference.

Is the sound quality really as good as a land line?
Every bit. It required my wife to keep her cordless handset volume a little lower than she had been using to prevent echo. ooma is very sensitive and an audio coupling with a high volume can cause echo problems.
How to handle the Direct TV requirement for a phone jack?

Some have added a dialing prefix of *99 to force the ooma to use a less compressive codec and have good experience. If your Direct TV also has the capability to use a network connection, that is always best.

Any problems with Ooma and Google Voice?
I use Google Voice as a front end and love it. I am excited about the prospect of using the Premier Extensions for GV when they are released.

Is Ooma a financially sound company that will be in business in future years?
I'm betting that they will survive. Great concept and technology, good people, several somewhat naive marketing misteps (sorry Rich and team, but changing TOS, changing website, and launching a new flagship product should not have been done simultaeously), but all in all, a company I'm betting on.

Would you buy Ooma again?
By all means. I have a hub/scout and a new Telo. I recommend it to all my friends!
#26690 by southsound
Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:41 am
Glad to have helped. The next appropriate thing for us to do is wecome you to ooma and to the forums! Do you think you will be purchasing a hub/scout package or the new Telo?
#26703 by kcman1651
Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:07 pm
I am not sure if I should buy the Ooma Core or the new Telo. I want to have all the phone jackes in the house hot and that is about the only requirement I have. Can someone explain what the differences are between the two units and is there an advantage to one over the other.
#26709 by southsound
Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:24 pm
kcman1651 wrote:I am not sure if I should buy the Ooma Core or the new Telo. I want to have all the phone jackes in the house hot and that is about the only requirement I have. Can someone explain what the differences are between the two units and is there an advantage to one over the other.

Glad to give my opinion on advantages from my perspective. YMMV.

Both Core and Telo offer the ability to power up all the phone jacks in your house. Depending on if you have DSL or not, you may have to isolate the DSL signal to make the system work well without noise. True for either device. You simply use the phone port on the ooma device to send dialtone. If you have two lines, the scout (core only) will allow you to have hardwired access to line 2. Many people have the scout and hub in the same area with just a short cable from wall port to wall port and use the hub phone port as line 1 and the scout phone port as line 2. If you are using the Telo, you only have hardwired access to line 1. Line 2 is available only from the Telo proprietary handset. There is no hardwired access to line 2 on the Telo and the scout does NOT work with the Telo.

The core package (hub/scout) falls under the old terms of service. Basic voicemail is free and there will not be a recapture of fees like on either the hub without the scout package sold at Costco or the Telo. On the standalone hub package or the Telo, voicemail is available at $4.99 /month or Premier is available for $9.99 /mo or $119 annual which includes either a free phone numbe port or a Telo handset. After year 1 there is a $12 annual recapture fee for the standalone hub packaging and the Telo.

The core package, although great technology, will be frozen out of some of the new unannounced features that will be possible with the Telo. We don't know what all of those features will be or when they will be available - or even the cost they may have associated - but the processor and VOIP engine in the Telo will allow things that the hub is not capable of providing. Also, if you are planning on using an answering machine with the hub or Telo to avoid voicemail costs, be aware that the hub will NEVER pass incoming DTMF (touchtones) so remote access will not be available. This capability will eventually be on the Telo but currently is is not capable of passing incoming DTMF either. Of course, using Google Voice as a front end for either will take care of your voicemail needs.

Other major differences are in the cosmetics of the two. The Telo is sleek, black, and makes use of proximity switches. The hub is also stylish but more industrial looking and some also say it feels more industrial quality.

I have both units and am happy with them both. I think you will be happy with either/both as well. :cool: