Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#25883 by msilk
Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:59 am
I just hooked up my Ooma yesterday and upgraded to Premier today. I think I may have been charged an additional $40 to port my primary number. I would also like to port the distinctive ring number from ViaTalk that I use as my home office number. How do I go about that. Thanks for your help
#25884 by niknak
Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:05 am
call CS and explain what you want to do or else initiate another port request and pay the $39.99, the first port is free with Premier so you will get a refund on that eventually
#25893 by msilk
Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:42 am
Got my reply. I pay an additional $39.99 to port the distinctive ring number then call CS to let them know which is the primary.
#26384 by sean
Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:07 am
i am doing something similar but my second home line current is just a fax number and the distinctive ring causes the fax to answer. i don't plan to port it since only a few people use it and i can just give them the new fax number. so, i will port my main AT&T number for our home but my question has to do with the temporary number that i currently use with the Telo. can i keep this Telo number once my home number is ported over and then use the current Telo number as my fax phone with a distinctive ring to alert my fax machine to answer like it does now?
#27575 by drdee
Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:31 pm
Just reading your info on porting a distinctive ring number. My phone supplier (Sage Telecom) calls it personalized ring. The people at ooma keep referring to it as ringmasters. I have talked to ooma mulitple times. They tell me 1st to remove the ringmasters (the distinctive ring pattern), then port that number 1st. After it is ported, I can port the main number which then closes my account with the phone company.

I called Sage on Friday and asked them to remove the distinctive ring pattern, but I wanted to keep the phone number. The order was turned in to do that. On Monday morning I find the distinctive ring number is no longer in service. I call Sage and talk to a supervisor. He tells me that you can't remove the distinctive ring pattern and keep the number. It is a feature and not a line. He was able to reverse their process and I now have the distinctive ring number again.

I called ooma and told them what was happening. They tell me you can remove the distinctive ring and keep the number, but the phone company tells me that can't be done. The phone company says I need to convert the distinctive ring number over to a seperate line and even then, they can't guarantee that I will be able to keep that number as a new one might be assigned. I did not tell them I was porting it over and getting rid of their service. I have an email from ooma saying it can be done and have made several calls to ooma and am told it can be done. I have spent over $300 for ooma equipment and premier and now find that it probably can't do it. I like the ooma system and want to make it work, but am having problems understanding how to do this.

Has anyone actually ported over a distinctive ring number and a main number?
#29670 by DanD
Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:28 pm
I am in the process of waiting for a port on my distinctive ring number. I talked to ooma customer support and was told the distinctive ring number I have is listed as "portable" and to go ahead and initiate the port. I was given an Oct. 22nd date for the port and have heard nothing. I was told they have done this kind of port before but I have my doubts if it will work. I have kept the main number with my phone company and continue to pay for the distinctive ring service. If I were to disconnect my main number then the distinctive ring number would go away so I am hanging in with the main number and the distinctive ring number until I hear something from ooma about the port.

It may be necessary to have the distinctive ring number converted to a true line, then port the number, and then disconnect both lines after they are both ported. That should work, expensive, but it should work.

Dan
Last edited by DanD on Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#29747 by jmassimilla
Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:52 am
DanD wrote:I am in the process of waiting for a port on my distinctive ring number. I talked to ooma customer support and was told the distinctive ring number I have is listed as "portable" and to go ahead and initiate the port. I was given an Oct. 22nd date for the port and have heard nothing. I was told they have done this kind of port before but I have my doubts if it will work. I have kept the main number with my phone company and continue to pay for the distinctive ring service. If I were to disconnect my main number then the distinctive ring number would go away so I am hanging in with the main number and the distinctive ring number until I hear something from ooma about the port.

It may be necessary to have the distinctive ring number converted to a true line, then port the number, and then disconnect both lines after they are both ported. That should work, expensive, but it should work.

Dan

This is exactly what I had to do with my Verizon distinctive ring number a few years ago when switching to another Voip provider. I had to have a second line installed. I was given a temporary number for that line by Verizon. I cancelled the distintictive ring feature from my main number and after a couple of weeks when the distinctive ring number was released by their system, they were able to change the temporary number to the distictive ring number. It is important to note that you cannot port your main number to Ooma until all of this takes place or you WILL lose the distinctive ring number altogether.
#36241 by jmassimilla
Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:50 pm
After the distinctive ring number was converted to a dedicated second phone line, there was no problem. I ported from Verizon to Verizon Voicewing, which was their Voip service until it was discontinued early this year.
#36242 by dpam
Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:53 pm
But you couldn't port the verizon distinctive ring without first transferring it to it's own line? Ooma support assured me today that they could port a verizon distictive ring number without problem (without disturbing the main verizon number or account). Must say I'm not entirely convinced - anyone done that successfully?