Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#25634 by Belosh
Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:25 am
what happens if i choose integration on intital setup but when my number ports i cancel the landline? will my alarm system then use the ported ooma number? i have read many of the threads on these types of topics and it is becoming greek to me. i just want to have my original number with my new telo ooma service, have my alarm work, and never have att landline again. can i accomplish this without having to wire my house, which i think i am incapable of doing?
#25635 by hpepper
Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:34 am
You have to have Ooma re-provision the Telo to work without a landline once the landline goes away. Also, it is suggested to have the alarm system dial *99 pause in front of the dialing string.

Can you test the Ooma line with the alarm system before you remove the landline to make sure they work nicely together? Just keep in mind ANY VOIP service is less reliable than a POTS line as far as alarm systems are concerned. There are added risks (which can be minimized) such as power outage (Use a UPS) Internet outage and things like that.

How do you have the phones and alarmed wired up right now?
#25641 by Belosh
Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:07 am
thanks for the reply. i have my alarm box in the closet, i dont know specifically how it is wired to the phone. so i dont know even how to check if it would work with the ooma line. i currently have integrated setup with ooma.

i dont care about the risks of power outage etc...

as long as i can have my original phone number, cancel att and have my alarm work i will keep ooma. if i cant assure myself of this, i will just return it and continue to waste money so as to not anger my wife by screwing up our current well working system.

so in followup, can i keep my system integrated until porting is done, then cancel the landline and have customer service then reconfigure my telo to work unintegrated?
#25656 by murphy
Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:17 am
The land line will be automatically canceled when the port is complete. Ooma should also automatically convert your ooma to the non-integrated mode. The only way your alarm system will work correctly is if you run the phone jack from ooma directly to where the AT&T feed comes into your house and connect it there. You also need to disconnect the incoming AT&T line at that time. Finally you have to have your alarm service company program your alarm panel to dial a prefix of *99 Pause before it dials the alarm number.
#25666 by Belosh
Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:39 am
murphy wrote:The land line will be automatically canceled when the port is complete. Ooma should also automatically convert your ooma to the non-integrated mode. The only way your alarm system will work correctly is if you run the phone jack from ooma directly to where the AT&T feed comes into your house and connect it there. You also need to disconnect the incoming AT&T line at that time. Finally you have to have your alarm service company program your alarm panel to dial a prefix of *99 Pause before it dials the alarm number.

cant i do the system setup where i plug the oomo telo into the wall to get ooma service on any phone jack in the house? wont this give phone service to the alarm? i get more confused every minute and need to decide if i am confused enough to the tune of 70 bucks a month.
#25670 by murphy
Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:48 am
The alarm panel has two phone connections, input and output. The incoming phone line is wired to the input terminals. The output terminals are used to feed the phone line to the rest of the house. When an alarm condition begins the panel disconnects the phone line feed to the house and makes the call for help. This prevents an intruder from picking up the nearest phone to prevent the panel from dialing out. If you connect the ooma to the nearest wall outlet, you will be feeding the panel on the wrong terminals. When it tries to dial it will cut off the house connection which means that it will not have a dial tone and will be unable to dial. It is essential that you get the alarm panel phone wiring done correctly.