Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#25367 by hhvision
Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:59 am
Problem with Scout bottom 4 buttons solid red - My set up is cordless base plugged into Ooma hub with cordless extention & all work fine - Just ported over old land line number & all work fine (havn't canceled AT&T yet) but all cordless & hub working Now I want to use scout. I Moved it to another room powered it up & bottom 4 Buttons on scout solid red. I tried to plug the cordless phone base into scout & still scout bottom 4 glow red. What I would like to do is use scout with cordless base in my office & keep Hub in utility roll where its connected between Cable modem & router. Please help.
Hal
#25370 by WayneDsr
Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:04 am
Hal, do you have DSL or Cable internet?

Wayne
#25373 by hhvision
Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:20 am
Hello Wayne . I have a cable Modem
#25375 by WayneDsr
Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:25 am
Good. Then I would imagine your problem is with the telco wire connected to your house wiring. If you know where your telco box is, usually on the outside of the house, disconnect the pigtail (usual a typical phone connector) from your house wiring. Sometimes the voltage from the telco prevents the scout from communicating with the hub.

Wayne
#25376 by hhvision
Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:36 am
I live in an apartment house & don't know where the box is. Will the problem go away when I cancel my service & they disconnect me & close my account?
#25377 by WayneDsr
Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:51 am
IF that's the cause no.
Even after they shut the dialtone off, there will be voltage present. The only other option would be to use the second line if you're apartment is wired for 2 lines. I'd open up one of your wall plates and see if 4 wires are connected to the phone jack. If so, you could purchase two 2 line adaptors, plug the WALL port of the hub into Line 2 of the adaptor and plug the WALL port of the scout into line 2 of the adaptor in another room. This will remove any voltage from line one. Scout should work fine like that.
2 line adaptors available ar Radio Shack or similar store.

Also, make sure your scout works. Place the hub and scout next to each other and connect them from the WALL port on the hub to the WALL port on the scout. If the scout works it will go blue right away.

Wayne
#25378 by hhvision
Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:07 am
thanks I chacked out the scout connected to the hub & its blue
Also now because my set up is cordless I'm not connected to a phone jack except the Jack from the Cordless base to the Ooma Hub that being the case do I still have to either:
1- Disconnect the pigtail to my apartment at the box or
2- Hope my apt has 2 line wiring & get the 2 line box at radioshack or
3- don't use the scout if the above don't work
Would my situation change if I bought the new Telo & its hub?
Thanks
#25380 by WayneDsr
Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:21 am
I'm sure you can get it to work as long as we know the scout works, the connection between them would be the issue. Disconnecting the telco would be the easiest and cheapest.

The Telo has a base unit like the ooma hub, but instead of a scout, it has a single wireless phone set.

Wayne
#25382 by doug
Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:30 am
hhvision wrote:Would my situation change if I bought the new Telo & its hub?

Yes, because the Telo does not support a wired scout. Instead, Telo handsets will provide scout-like features in that they have direct access to voice mail, do not disturb, instant second line, etc. Therefore you don't need home wiring at all -- unless you have DSL which comes in on the home wiring. But once the broadband reaches the Telo base, you don't need a phoneline at all when you only use Telo handsets or your own cordless phone system hooked up to the phone jack of the Telo base.

So the real question is why you wanted to use the scout in your apartment now. If to gain access to VM, DND, instant second line, etc, then you can do it with the Telo and Telo handsets. You could not use existing wired phones or non-Telo cordless handsets except as a regular phone. (That is, using your own DECT 6 phone system attached to the Telo phone jack will allow you to use them to place and receive calls, but you could not control DND or have two concurrent calls using the instant second line, etc.)

If you wanted the scout to front-end a personal number for a fax machine for example, the Telo does not currently have that ability. Another use of the scout is to provide those features via a wired connection at a distance too large for cordless coverage. That may be less likely in an apartment installation.

Re-reading the original post, I see the primary motivation was to have the hub near the router and the scout in an office.

If phone wiring is an issue, there are at least a few alternatives:

1) Telo base in utility area and Telo handset(s) where you want them
2) Use powerline network adapters in utility area and office, then place hub or Telo base in office
3) Use WiFi bridge between utility area and office, then place hub or Telo base in office
4) Fish a minimum of CAT5 cable between utility area and office, then place hub or Teo base in office
#25387 by hhvision
Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:45 am
Thanks
I have WiFi between my Mac in the office and my router next to cable modem with the Hub hard wired in between the router & the Cable modem all in the utility area now how can use the WiFi as a bridge between utility area & the office & place the hub in the office.
thanks