Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#26590 by gramps
Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:44 pm
I'm a newbie. Just took my Telo out of the box, read the quick start setup instructions, followed them exactly (using option 2A since I have a separate modem and router) and voila, blinking blue logo. Did not see a blinking red logo (indicating a "power up"?).
I assumed that the blinking blue logo meant it was doing the "upgrade". I let it go for a few hours, found no dialtone so came to this forum to find your discussions.
I am just really angry that Ooma lets units out of the factory without testing them. Now granted there may be some problem on my end. For example when I called the help line when during the initial on-line activation I kept getting a popup note saying I should use "option 2B". I explained that since I had a separate modem and router the quick start said I had to use Option 2B. My telephone helper agreed but warned that the first time upgrade would take a while (how long??) but would eventually complete. NADA!!! So I've tried some of your solutions

1. changing from automatic to MAC (when I hit upgrade I got a "cannot reach the internet page" error.
2. Same thing when I tried to change the ip numbers from 35 to 37.

So I'll leave it blinking all night and see what happens in the morning. But i think I'm going to have to call phone-line help and have them walk me through the steps.

Any other suggestions?? Thanks.

AJ
#26592 by gramps
Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:34 pm
Correction...in my pevious post I should have said: "I kept getting a popup note saying I should use "option 2B". I explained that since I had a separate modem and router the quick start said I had to use Option 2A
#26596 by murphy
Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:12 am
You can use either option.
I have a separate cable modem and router and my ooma is behind the router.

When you changed the MAC address to use built in, the next step would be to power cycle the cable modem.
Cable modems memorize the first MAC address that connects after power on and will not let any subsequent MAC address connect. This is how the cable company prevents you from getting more IP addresses than you are paying for.