Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#25269 by erporsche
Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:32 pm
I and changing from ATT DSL to U-verse (12mbps) and am not keeping landline capability with ATT when change is made. The reason being, when you use U-verse, the local line is digital voip. Can I still port my number after ATT changes my home to U-verse service? Or does ATT give my previous number to someone else or remove from system.

Ultimately, I would like to retain/port current number . Should I call ATT ask ask for digital and then port from ATT digital ?

Thanks in advance :?:
#25272 by niknak
Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:35 pm
If AT&T is providing your telephone service you should be retaining your number whether they use a POTS line or digital VOIP to bring the service to your house
"porting" a number implies moving it from 1 carrier to another - there is no port involved if AT&T remains as the carrier
#25276 by erporsche
Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:43 pm
Sorry, should have explained further, i will not be retaining ATT for phone service, only internet service and then I will be using telo, which I want to port my number from ATT to Ooma telo. I will call ooma for setup and installation immediately after ATT u verse is set up and request porting of number to ooma can I still port after I only have ATT internet?

thanks
#25283 by niknak
Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:55 pm
you have to initiate the port request with ooma while you still have the landline number in your name - if you let it go you will most likely lose the number - you might be able to make arrangements with AT&T to hold the number but I would not bet on it
#25323 by Leeway
Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:32 pm
I did what you want to do. Do not drop your Uverse phone until the port is complete or you will loose the number. Ooma is not slow with porting but AT&T sure is. You need to keep it until you receive the email that the port is complete and you will most likely be dropped from Uverse at the same time. I did call, I did check but it was all over and done with at that point.