Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#24945 by datachk
Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:08 am
I have an existing Time Warner broadband phone as part of a package deal but in addition, would like to install and port my current line line with Omma. Does Omma coexist with an existing broadband line or will I possible experience some incompabilities with the setup? Any comments would be appreciated.
#24947 by murphy
Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:17 am
If you port your current number to Ooma, the current line will be automatically canceled. You need to decide what you want to end up with before you do anything.

You could integrate your current number / line with Ooma but I would not recommend integrating Ooma with another VOIP service.

You could get a new phone number with Ooma and leave your current service as is and have two phone lines.

There are several options. Only you can decide which one is right for you.
#24951 by datachk
Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:27 am
Thanks for you comments. I currently have two line lines and one Time Warner broadband line.

I want to end up with one land line, one Time Warner broadband phone and one Omma phone line replacing one of my land lines. I want to keep the Time Warner broadband line since I can sucessfully send out faxes on that line and I understand it's problematic with Omma. Do you still feel that if I go with Omma on one of my land lines I will have capability ussues with the existing broadband line? Thanks!
#24953 by murphy
Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:50 am
Pick the land line that you want to terminate.
Decide if you want to keep the number (costs $40 minimum) or if you don't want to keep the number.

Register Ooma for use without a land line. You will be issued a temporary number. If you don't port a number in, that will be your permanent Ooma number.

If you want to keep the number from the terminated land line, port that number to Ooma. When the port is complete that number will replace the temporary number. The temporary number will become a second number until the Premier trial expires and then it will disappear. If you purchase Premier, the number will stay. Also if you purchase Premier, the number port will be free.

If you don't want to keep the number from the terminated line, call the phone company and terminate the land line as soon as Ooma is working.

You will end up with one land line, one Time Warner line, and one Ooma line (2 if you buy Premier).