Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#24896 by allo
Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:51 pm
Do the HUB and SCOUT both need to be connected to the wall jack for the Scout to work, even though I have Cable and NOT DSL?
So far I haven't been able to have the Scout to work and I did not plug it to the jack in the wall, because the land line even though service was disconnected still has a dial tone (soft dial tone). I am worried the live wire may damage either the Hub or the Scout if I plug them in.
Aren't the HUB and Scout supposed to be wireless?

Any help is appreciated... may be the same question was asked before but I could not find it!
#24898 by WayneDsr
Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:57 pm
If you want to plug your scout in you must unplug the telco connection at the telco box. It's usually just a matter of unplugging a phone connector in the outside telco box. The removes the voltage from your house wiring.
Plug the WALL port of the ooma hub to the house wall jack and plug the WALL port of the Scout into the house wall jack.

If you need to keep your landline plugged in you would then have to utilize a second pair of wires (second line) to feed the scout from the hub.

Wayne
#24903 by allo
Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:06 pm
WayneDsr wrote:If you want to plug your scout in you must unplug the telco connection at the telco box. It's usually just a matter of unplugging a phone connector in the outside telco box. The removes the voltage from your house wiring.
Plug the WALL port of the ooma hub to the house wall jack and plug the WALL port of the Scout into the house wall jack.

If you need to keep your landline plugged in you would then have to utilize a second pair of wires (second line) to feed the scout from the hub.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne. I forgot to ask if I can plug both Hub+Scout to the same wall jack using a duplex splitter (wire); or they have to be different wall jacks??
#24904 by WayneDsr
Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:09 pm
If your putting the Scout next to the hub (as I do) you just need to plug the Scout WALL port directly into the Hubs WALL port and they will work fine.
But to answer your question, yes.

Wayne
#24913 by allo
Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:01 pm
WayneDsr wrote:If your putting the Scout next to the hub (as I do) you just need to plug the Scout WALL port directly into the Hubs WALL port and they will work fine.
But to answer your question, yes.

Wayne

That is exactly what I am doing; 2' apart and using Dect.6.0 phones for both lines. Thanks! (why didn't I think of that!?).
That explains everything, the Hub system is not wireless.
Does the proximity of both Hub-Scout affect/interfere in anyway?
Thanks again Wayne!
#24915 by WayneDsr
Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:05 pm
No, no interference at all. Makes it real handy for line one and line 2 access. Mine are right next to each other on my desk.
Enjoy and welome to the forums!

Wayne

EDIT: The new ooma Telo system is wireless. That might be what you're thinking.