Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#24858 by kdh4321
Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:16 pm
I am considering the ooma telo system for my home.

I currently have VOIP service with my cable internet provider, Cox Communications. I also have a home alarm system that uses an ADEMCO control Panel.

There is a phone line that comes out of the alarm system wiring cabinet in my basement and plugs into the Tel 1 port on the Motorola SBV5220 VoIP Cable Modem That Cox provided. There is nothing plugged into the Tel 2 port. There is coax cable plugged into the modem and ethernet from the modem to my router.

This setup works for my alarm system and provides dial tone to all the phone jacks in my home. This probably shows my ignorance but how does this setup get dial tone to the phone jacks? Is this probably all tied together in the alarm system wiring cabinet?

My main question is if I have the ooma telo system placed between this modem and router, and move the phone line from the Tel 1 port on the modem to the ooma telo device will I have the same service? Should this allow the alarm system and telephone jacks to work? What problems could I have with the alarm system?

I also would like to port my current number. How would I test the system with my temporary number, especially the alarm system?
#24920 by southsound
Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:56 pm
The wire that goes between the Tel 1 jack and the alarm system provides dialtone to the alarm panel. That panel provides "conditional" dialtone to the phone jacks in the house. It is probably accomplished through an RJ31X jack near that panel. By conditional I mean that as long as the alarm is not reporting, dialtone is present at the telephones. If the system is in an alarm state, the connection to the phones is broken to allow the panel to report. Moving the cable from the Tel 1 jack to the phone jack on the Telo will do the same as your present system does. The only thing left to do would be to have the alarm company add *99 Pause as a prefix to dialing out to the central station. The *99 makes the Telo use a codec that has less compression and works better for alarms and fax machines.

Let us know how your test goes. I think you will soon be able to report back success! :cool:
#25136 by kdh4321
Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:22 am
southsound,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. I spoke with my alarm monitoring company. They said, right or wrong, that the ooma telo system would not work with their system. Through the course of the conversation they offered me three free months monitoring so I will probably wait until that time is up, switch monitoring companies, and get the ooma telo.

Thanks again.