Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#1272 by elgatogeorgi
Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:17 am
I originally set up my ooma hub between my modem and router, and it worked fine except for port forwarding. I have a sling box and remote desktop, and I could not get the remote desktop to work. (I was able to get the slingbox to work by changing the DMZ setting and the corresponding IP on my router).

I decided to pull my router and set up the ooma hub as my router and then connect the home port from the hub to my airport extreme wireless (in bridge mode). Everything now works great (including my remote desktop!)

Is there any reason why I shouldn't use this configuration?
#1450 by jondc
Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:11 pm
elgatogeorgi wrote:I originally set up my ooma hub between my modem and router, and it worked fine except for port forwarding. I have a sling box and remote desktop, and I could not get the remote desktop to work. (I was able to get the slingbox to work by changing the DMZ setting and the corresponding IP on my router).

I decided to pull my router and set up the ooma hub as my router and then connect the home port from the hub to my airport extreme wireless (in bridge mode). Everything now works great (including my remote desktop!)

Is there any reason why I shouldn't use this configuration?

I've had varying degrees of success. I do a lot of P2P and find when I have the ooma as the first device the port forwarding doesn't always work well because it has to then get forwarded through my router. Most of the time I just plug ooma into the router and it works great. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head at 10pm on Christmas Eve that would be a reason to have ooma as the first device on the line is for the Quality of Service function and accessing the hub configuration.
#1476 by Soundjudgment
Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:50 pm
"" I do a lot of P2P and find when I have the ooma as the first device the port forwarding doesn't always work well because it has to then get forwarded through my router. ""

Then why not dump that second router and simply hook up the computers to a wired-switch? That is what I am trying to do right now. I have no wireless devices on the LAN so I see no need to take the performance 'hit' from having a Wireless Router constantly in-line, when a Gigabit switch will do.

I am now trying to use the Ooma HUB as the Internet Router right after the separate Cable Modem. No Internet Router is used at all. I simply hook up a Gigabit LAN Switch Hub (D-Link) to the end of the Ooma Hub box in the HOME port, and all computers go right into that small switch:

Cable Modem ---> OOOooma Hub ---> D-Link Switch ---> Computer(s).

Internet is fast and fine, using the Ooma HUB to assign each computer a Dynamic IP address. Telephone calls with Ooma of course are clean and fine, as well.

But something come to mind as to whether I can use this cleaner network setup:

If I choose to use the Ooma HUB box as my 'Router' for the computers downstream of it... would it be considered just as SECURE as a Home NAT Router that does 'stateful packet inspection' on all the Internet Traffic coming in from and going out to the Cable Modem? Or would I be losing that layer of 'security' by not using a Linksys or D-Link or Netgear Router for that hardware-firewall function? If it isn't as 'secure' on the Internet then I probably will not keep this Ooma HUB upstream of the Switch.
#1677 by rrussell
Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:08 pm
I prefer having my router/firewall in place to protect my internal network/pc's. I was able to get everything working fine by installing a D-Link Switch into the cable modem and plugging my Linksys Firewall/Router and ooma Hub into the switch.

Cable Modem -> D-Link Switch -> ooma Hub
Cable Modem -> D-Link Switch -> Linksys Firewall/Router-> Computer(s).

This allows the ooma hub to commuicate directly without any firewall blocking issues and allow the Firewall?Router to protect the internal network. It also allows my remote desktop to function as it did prior to adding ooma.
#1685 by lacakid
Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:57 pm
Ive done a lot of routing as well.... I have it down as:

Cable Modem -> D-Link Switch -> Television -> Another Router -> Freezer -> Toilet -> Computer(s).

This particular setup works the best for me.

Joe.