Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#24732 by Leeway
Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:27 am
I have a question.... I do not have DECT 6.0 cordless phones just older Panasonic cordless ones. I am thinking to buy new DECT 6.0 phones.

I want to know if this would work?

Telo connected to router in office
NO telephone at all conected to Telo base
Telo base plugged into wall telephone jack (activate whole house)

Plug newly purchased Panasonic DECT base into family room (another room and not near the Telo base)

Cordless newly purchased Panasonic DECT handset in a bedroom

Telo handset in kitchen
Telo handset in master bedroom

Oh and one more question for the road.... as long as you have your thinking caps on.

If I correctly set the Telo answer machine behind later than the answer machine in the new phone will the phone pick up messages before the Telo?

Thanks, Donna
#24734 by hpepper
Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:32 am
Yes, that would work as long as there is nothing else on the home wiring such as DSL or a landline. The home wiring would plug into the PHONE port on the Telo.

Yes, your answering machine will work if set to answer before Telo does.
#24738 by southsound
Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:45 am
Leeway wrote:I have a question.... I do not have DECT 6.0 cordless phones just older Panasonic cordless ones. I am thinking to buy new DECT 6.0 phones.

If I correctly set the Telo answer machine behind later than the answer machine in the new phone will the phone pick up messages before the Telo?

Thanks, Donna

A little additional clarification. If you use wireless internet in your home remember that older cordless phones, those that use either 2.4ghz or 5.8ghz can interfere with the WiFi signal. The DECT 6.0 phones run over a different frequency range to they do not interfere.

Also, although your answering machine will work, you will currently lose the ability to retreive your messages remotely. That is because although the hardware is capable, current firmware in the Telo prevents it from passing inbound DTMF (touchtones). That means when you call in from another location and try to access your messages, all your Telo will send the answering machine is dead air. Hopefully this will be fixed in the future, but I'd recommend getting Premier and turning off your home answering machine - or just use the basic Telo with Google Voice as a front end. In that scenario you have people call your GV number and have call presentation turned on while you are still under the Premier trial. That way all voicemail goes to GV and you can pick it up anywhere - and get a (sometimes poor) transcript emailed to you as well. :cool:
#24743 by teeitup
Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:56 am
Leeway wrote:I have a question.... I do not have DECT 6.0 cordless phones just older Panasonic cordless ones. I am thinking to buy new DECT 6.0 phones.

I want to know if this would work?

Telo connected to router in office
NO telephone at all conected to Telo base
Telo base plugged into wall telephone jack (activate whole house)

Plug newly purchased Panasonic DECT base into family room (another room and not near the Telo base)

Cordless newly purchased Panasonic DECT handset in a bedroom

Telo handset in kitchen
Telo handset in master bedroom

Oh and one more question for the road.... as long as you have your thinking caps on.

Thanks, Donna

It sounds to me like you are wanting to "activate" your whole house with a dial tone from the Telo, as well as use a Telo handset in the kitchen and master bedroom. I don't think this is possible as the Telo handsets are a seperate connection on the base. At least this is the case with using Scouts on the Ooma Hub. Maybe the Telo is different??
#24744 by murphy
Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:59 am
The Telo handset is connected to the base wirelessly.
#24745 by southsound
Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:02 am
teeitup wrote: It sounds to me like you are wanting to "activate" your whole house with a dial tone from the Telo, as well as use a Telo handset in the kitchen and master bedroom. I don't think this is possible as the Telo handsets are a seperate connection on the base. At least this is the case with using Scouts on the Ooma Hub. Maybe the Telo is different??

It will work fine as the poster described. The Telo has a Phone output that can provide dialtone to any corded or cordless base. This is in addition to being able to support up to 4 Telo handsets. The non-Telo DECT handsets will not have all the features that the Telo handsets do and will not talk to the DECT 6 transmitter in the Telo but will work fine none the less. Also with the hub you can do the same thing. You do NOT need a scout for each phone. The phone output on the hub can easily run the entire house. You can also use the scout (with Premier) to provide a wired 2nd line throughout the house or to two-line phones.
#24747 by hpepper
Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:05 am
teeitup wrote:
It sounds to me like you are wanting to "activate" your whole house with a dial tone from the Telo, as well as use a Telo handset in the kitchen and master bedroom. I don't think this is possible as the Telo handsets are a seperate connection on the base. At least this is the case with using Scouts on the Ooma Hub. Maybe the Telo is different??

...and the phonejack on the Telo base can be split into several phones, or even for example, a 6-phone Dect wireless system. So you could have the 6 PLUS any Telo handsets (Up to 4)

The possiblities are many. The only thing I am not sure of is - how many separate phones could be split off of one Telo jack... I'm sure there is a limit.
#24753 by Leeway
Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:29 am
Perhaps I should have told you that is the way I am set up now with the hub.

I don't use a Scout at all. I have the hub connected to the wall jack. In turn, I have the older cordless base in the family room by my choice.

I have 3 other handsets and everything is hunky dory.

I am trying to make sure I can do the same thing with a Telo setup.

Yes, I'd be using 2 Telo handsets just because of their capability in the places that are most important for that.
Yes, I know the Dect handsets would not have all of the Telo handset capability but that is ok for those other rooms. Just to be able to answer the phone for example if I am in the basement or garage without all the frills.

Yes, I know if I had my answer machine on, I couldn't listen while mobile. On the other hand why not?.... why can't I call my home and put in the code for the Dect Phone to hear those messages? Then again, there will be GV.

On the other hand, I should be able to turn off the Dect answer machine at any time and let them go to the Telo answer machine when I so choose? I do that now with my hub setup.

I guess what I'm trying to prove to myself is that I will be able to do the same things with the Telo and purchasing new DECT phones that I have now. I do love my Ooma hub and the way I have it set up at the moment. When I think of it, I might just be better off monetarily with new phones and the old hub. I'm just trying to iron this all out. :shock:
#24757 by southsound
Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:39 am
Leeway wrote: I guess what I'm trying to prove to myself is that I will be able to do the same things with the Telo and purchasing new DECT phones that I have now. I do love my Ooma hub and the way I have it set up at the moment. When I think of it, I might just be better off monetarily with new phones and the old hub. I'm just trying to iron this all out. :shock:

I think you are going to find the Telo capable of all the things you are doing now. My only complaints about it are the current inability to pass inbound DTMF (also a permanent problem with the hub due to hardware constraints) and the lack of a wired second line for those who need it. Since I have a hub and a Telo the wired 2nd line is not a problem for me but if I had to rely on the Telo handsets for line 2 it would fall short in reaching my barn. The voicemail remote pickup problem will go away eventually - but it is really a mute point for me as I use Google Voice as a front end.

Given all I know now I love my hub and really like the Telo. We'll see which one pulls ahead when ooma rolls out the GV extensions. I think the Telo may offer more access than the hub.
#24957 by MarkSly
Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:14 am
southsound wrote:
Leeway wrote: I guess what I'm trying to prove to myself is that I will be able to do the same things with the Telo and purchasing new DECT phones that I have now. I do love my Ooma hub and the way I have it set up at the moment. When I think of it, I might just be better off monetarily with new phones and the old hub. I'm just trying to iron this all out. :shock:

I think you are going to find the Telo capable of all the things you are doing now. My only complaints about it are the current inability to pass inbound DTMF (also a permanent problem with the hub due to hardware constraints) and the lack of a wired second line for those who need it. Since I have a hub and a Telo the wired 2nd line is not a problem for me but if I had to rely on the Telo handsets for line 2 it would fall short in reaching my barn. The voicemail remote pickup problem will go away eventually - but it is really a mute point for me as I use Google Voice as a front end.

Given all I know now I love my hub and really like the Telo. We'll see which one pulls ahead when ooma rolls out the GV extensions. I think the Telo may offer more access than the hub.

So I just purchased the Telo and got it set up and began the request to port my phone number from 8x8. I went ahead and purchased a full year of Premier, and will decide next year if I want to continue to have premier or drop to voicemail only or switch to an answering machine.

But I'd like to be able to use the 2-line phone in my home office without having to keep the Telo next to it so switch from line 1 to line 2. I was disappointed to find that the phone jack on the back of the Telo did not support two lines.

With the older hub/scout, it seemed you could set up the scout to run line 2 and the hub to run line 1, then combine the two with a line splitter to plug into the wall to distribute to the whole house.

:?: How would I do this with the Telo? Do I need to by a scout? Will that work with the Telo? :?: