Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#24648 by hercules1262
Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:54 pm
I've got an Ooma hub, a wireless WRT600N and a HP EX470 home server. I've repeatedly had trouble gaining remote access to my WHS. My current configuration is Cable Modem-->OOMA-->WRT600N<--WHS. The cat5 cable runs from the OOMA home port to the WAN port on the router. I've added the port forwarding for the 80, 443 and 4125 inside the WRT config pages. Still, I can't see my web site from the internet, only internally. Is it a function that the OOMA hub needs to be behind the router on the same IP schema of the router and home network? Right now, I have the original 172 schema for OOMA and a different one for my home network. The only time I've had success remotely accessing my WHS has been when OOMA was behind the router, and I think I had to change the OOMA hub schema to the same. Over time, I lost my phone connection and had to revert to the above configuration. I have not currently configured a DMZ or any of the port forwarding features under OOMA setup, primarily because they are on a different schema. Any help greatly appreciated. I am obviously missing some networking pieces here. It would be nice if OOMA would add this to their picture setup since WH Servers are becoming much more prevalent now!
#24664 by Groundhound
Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:19 am
Placing Ooma behind the router is probably the best option for you, but you'll need to give it QoS priority in the router configuration to preserve call quality.
#24681 by dtalwar
Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:36 am
You can add the Linksys router to Ooma's DMZ and that should work. However, my personal preference is to have Ooma behind the router. I have EX-470 as well and that's what my setup is - Cable Modem -> Router -> Ooma, WHS, and other computers.