Busy signal on all OUT calls

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
Joyce Bennett

Busy signal on all OUT calls

Post by Joyce Bennett » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:31 am

Geek squad feller installed my ooma hub (I'll figure out how to install the scout later). At any rate, I get INCOMING calls and voice mail just fine, but anytime I use my landline to call out, I get a busy signal. Any idea what's wrong?

hpepper

Re: Busy signal on all OUT calls

Post by hpepper » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:33 am

How is your landline setup? Is it separate from the Ooma hub or did you opt to integrate it with the hub?

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:35 am

Is your landline setup to be provisioned with Ooma, or left as stand alone? If you don't know one way to tell is if your hub's wall port is connected to anything, and if so, what?
Edit: Sorry hpepper, we typed at the same time.

niknak

Post by niknak » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:38 am

is the busy signal a "fast busy" or normal?

Joyce Bennett

Post by Joyce Bennett » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:08 am

Wall outlet connects to the hub, hub connects to the phone and modem. Leg bone connects to the thigh bone ....
HELP!!

Busy signal sounds normal .. not fast.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:27 am

Assuming you're not sure if the landline was integrated when you activated? Try this experiment, disconnect the phone wire connected to the "wall" port on your hub. If the "play" and "fast forward" buttons turn red, plug it back in, if not, try making a call on your landline.

Joyce Bennett

Post by Joyce Bennett » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:12 pm

Groundhound wrote:Assuming you're not sure if the landline was integrated when you activated? Try this experiment, disconnect the phone wire connected to the "wall" port on your hub. If the "play" and "fast forward" buttons turn red, plug it back in, if not, try making a call on your landline.

I did the above .... blue ooma light changes to red....everything else on the hub remains "unlit". There is no dial tone on the telephone. I plugged it back in ... ooma light turns back to blue ... picked up land line ... #1 light on hub lights up red ... have dial tone ... dial ... busy signal. I'm stymied.

niknak

Post by niknak » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:18 pm

do you get busy on all calls (local, long distance, 800, cellphone)?
if so it may be a switching problem at the CO.
make a log of the date/time/number called and then call ooma CS - their engineers can use the log to trace the calls and find the problem

Dennis P
Ooma Moderator

Post by Dennis P » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:36 pm

So if you plug your phone directly into the landline, you can draw regular dialtone fine and make an outgoing call, right? I don't see any logs for your device, which would be really helpful to troubleshoot a problem like this. Do you have your Hub setup behind a router or firewall of some kind? Can you open up UDP port 514 if it is being blocked? This will let us see the logs to help troubleshoot.

niknak

Post by niknak » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:41 am

..picked up land line ... #1 light on hub lights up red ... have dial tone ... dial ... busy signal...
Do you get the "ooma" dial tone (the "jingle" tone at the very beginning) or the standard dial tone from the phone company ?

Please see Dennis P's post above - he can help you the most here