Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#24197 by inigo montoya
Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:47 am
Exactly (the clear as mud part), now that you mention it- I do remember them calling that a filter. Would I be able to simply plug in a splitter (just like I am the filter now) that accomplishes this without physically rewiring the jack? If so, is that something you can just grab at the walmart or is it a specialty item? Thanks for the help. With the recent rate changes, too much of a wiring headache could make the difference in wanting to mess with this or not.
#24203 by southsound
Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:54 am
Walmart may have them - Radio Shack also does. But both also may have a similar looking adapter that allows you to plug in two phones or a phone and answering machine into ONE line. The kind you want has L1 & L2 desiginations printed on it. You will also have to check to see if the wires were connected behind each jack.

A lot of folks are intimidated by phone wiring - but it is really simple and I would never use the adapters given a choice. The voltage is not harmful (although if voice were on the line it might give you a tingle if the phone were to ring while you had both wires in your hand). Wiring is standard if if my previous post seems crypic we can walk you through the steps.
#24216 by tommies
Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:09 am
tommies wrote:Reading this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=658 will helps. It has some pictures of various filter/splitter and some diagram of the wiring.

mine is done as the way KTR suggested: only need one duplex splitter(come with ooma) and one micro filter/DSL filter(come with Bellsout DSL) and one short phone wire. It needs to be done in the DEMARC box

Other way can be done in the wall jack where the DSL modem connected. It only needs two 2-line splitters in addition to the two filter+spliter above. No re-wiring needed

This wiring is for full set with scout installed and the hub is provisioned to work with a land line. If your hub is provisioned without a land line and/or the scout is not use, the wiring will be much simpler.

PS
re-quote myself here, since I guess you missed my earlier post.
Last edited by tommies on Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
#24222 by southsound
Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:18 am
For many of us, DSL provides a more consistent quality. Cable systems spread bandwidth across your neighborhood and although things like "speed boost" make them seem wonderful, when the entire area is using the same pipe everyone's throughput is bottlenecked. I'd rather keep my DSL (even if cable was available, which in my area, it is not).
#24225 by tommies
Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:23 am
Be carefull with switching isp. The QoS is vary greatly from location to location, even from house to house within a neighborhood. At my house DSL is more reliable than cable(Comcast) but in the house next door, the reverse is true.
#24236 by Groundhound
Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:41 am
tommies wrote:Be carefull with switching isp. The QoS is vary greatly from location to location, even from house to house within a neighborhood. At my house DSL is more reliable than cable(Comcast) but in the house next door, the reverse is true.

No truer words were ever written! ALL ISP quality is local, VERY local!