Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#23930 by nabril
Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:03 am
Hello all
New to forum and ooma. I want to scream goodbye to ATT for my local service, and ooma seems to be the clear winner over Vonage and magicjack.

My questions are:
1) I have an alarm system. As I am not the original buyer of this townhouse, I do not know how it is wired. I assume that the alarm panel goes directly to the telco box outside my front door. Regardless. Is there a way for me to make it work through ooma?

2) Obviously Telo looks better, nicer, more modern than the Hub. But if I read correctly in some amazon reviews, the telo forces you to the premier membership. Since the pricing information on the ooma page is non-existent, I ask existing (or recent new) users---what is the monthly cost to have ooma? Whether it's the hub or Telo? I know there are fees and taxes--what are they?

Thanks a lot
#23934 by Groundhound
Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:33 am
nabril wrote:Hello all
New to forum and ooma. I want to scream goodbye to ATT for my local service, and ooma seems to be the clear winner over Vonage and magicjack.

My questions are:
1) I have an alarm system. As I am not the original buyer of this townhouse, I do not know how it is wired. I assume that the alarm panel goes directly to the telco box outside my front door. Regardless. Is there a way for me to make it work through ooma?

2) Obviously Telo looks better, nicer, more modern than the Hub. But if I read correctly in some amazon reviews, the telo forces you to the premier membership. Since the pricing information on the ooma page is non-existent, I ask existing (or recent new) users---what is the monthly cost to have ooma? Whether it's the hub or Telo? I know there are fees and taxes--what are they?

Thanks a lot

1. Depends. If yours is the type that disconnects all extensions in the home before it dials out there may be a problem. Also, you will likely need to modify the outbound number it calls to include *99pause as a prefix.

2. Telo doesn't force you to Premier, but the non-Premier, no-monthly-cost basic service lacks voicemail & callerID-Name. You can add VM to the basic service for $4.99 per month, but if you want all the bells and whistles you need Premier for $9.99 per month.
#23953 by Groundhound
Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:52 am
nabril wrote:thanks groundhound.
how can I verify if alarm disconnects all?

not interested in bells and w. Just voicemail and call waiting.
what about fees and taxes?

You'd need to research your alarm info for how it phones out.
Call waiting is included with the Telo basic service, adding voicemail to the basic service costs $4.99/month or $49.99/year.
Last edited by Groundhound on Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
#23991 by southsound
Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:08 pm
Groundhound wrote:
nabril wrote: 1) I have an alarm system. As I am not the original buyer of this townhouse, I do not know how it is wired. I assume that the alarm panel goes directly to the telco box outside my front door. Regardless. Is there a way for me to make it work through ooma?

1. Depends. If yours is the type that disconnects all extensions in the home before it dials out there may be a problem. Also, you will likely need to modify the outbound number it calls to include *99pause as a prefix.

Actually there is no rocket science to wiring an alarm so that it disconnects the phones during an alert state. The connection is made through an RJ31X jack and I'll bet if you system was commercially installed, it is part of the system. The jack has 4 connections - R (ring) and T (tip) are the input wires from the telco demarcation box. R1 and T1 go to the house wiring. As long as you supply dialtone to the R and T terminals of that jack you will be fine. If not, you risk having a a problem if you are on the phone (or someone tries to busy the line from inside the house) as the alarm is trying to report.

In addition to the *99pause, you may need to have the monitoring company add a command to dial using touchtones (DTMF) as some older systems were configured to use pulse dialing.
#24111 by nabril
Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:31 am
thank you southsound, and groundhound.. The answers abound !!

So how the alarm actually get connected to ooma once ooma is up and running? The alarm panel is in the closet upstairs, and the ooma hub will be downstairs in the kitchen. The alarm has to connect to the hub or a scout, right?

What about those fees and taxes? Come on users, share them. I read in an amazon review that there are some fees that are not mentioned anywhere in the ooma page; thus not making it totally free. It is still cheaper than ATT sure, but I just want to know what they are upfront, that is all.

thanks again
#24117 by tommies
Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:53 am
For those of us, who is already on board, there is no fee/tax. For those, who signs up on Oct 1st or later, there is an annual fee starting in year two:
For new Ooma customers, here are highlights of our new Terms and Conditions:
  • 5,000 total minutes per month of residential domestic calling
  • Ooma Premier monthly subscriptions are $9.99/month
  • Ooma Premier annual subscriptions are $119.99/year. This now includes either one free number port ($39.99 value) or a free Ooma Telo Handset ($49.99 value)
  • $11.75/year Regulatory Recovery Fee in Years 2 and beyond to cover taxes, regulatory fees and other costs
  • Voicemail is now bundled with Ooma Premier
  • 60-days of free Ooma Care telephone support. Thereafter, non-Premier customers receive free email support and may purchase Ooma Care telephone support for $39.99/year
#24123 by murphy
Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:04 am
nabril wrote:thank you tommies.
But i dont HAVE TO get Premier, correct? If so, it's just 11.75 for years 2 and after.

Correct. You don't have to buy Premier if you don't need it.