Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#23324 by kneman1
Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:26 am
Hi,

I just purchased the telo and was wondering about number porting. I would eventually like to port my number if all goes well. My questions is can i activate the ooma telo first for a while to make sure i want to keep the service before i port my number later? or do i have to port my number when i activate.

Thanks
#23327 by murphy
Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:28 am
You can port your number later.
#23328 by southsound
Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:32 am
I would recommend against activating it to use your existing landline for the test period. When you activate it in this manner all incoming and local outgoing go over your existing landline. Not good for a test.

Many of us activated our ooma system without connecting (integrating) a landline. What this means is that you will get a new number from ooma for your Telo. Then, when you are happy with the quality, just complete the request for porting. When the number ports, you can choose to keep the ooma number as a second number on the Telo (requires Premier) or let it go. In the testing period, you will be making all your calls on the Telo so you will get a good idea of what it will be like after porting.

And lest I forget, welcome to ooma! :cool: