Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#23311 by blackpippi
Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:53 am
I want to use my scout as an answering machine. Currently, I have the Ooma hub in a room far away and it's a bit of a trek to look for the red blinking message light.
My scout is still in the box. Can I just plug it into an active telephone jack in another room or do I have to register it first and select a second number and all that?
I have the Premier service, no landline, hooked up to DSL.
#23312 by zerocoolmz
Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:02 am
just hook up the scout to the wall jack and give it power. it will boot up and then you should be good to go. I have cordles phones in my house so i don't have a phone plugged into the scout but it sould still show when you have a voicemail as though it was a hub
#23315 by southsound
Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:12 am
You could certainly use your scout as a voicemail terminal - many here do, some without even plugging a phone into it. But you stated that you have DSL and that does present an additional issue. The scount and hub communicate using HPNA, a networking protocol over telephone wires. The problem is that DSL and HPNA signals do not play nice together. You will want to connect the hub's wall port and the scout's wall port using a "clean" pair of wires. Typically there are several pairs of wires in your telephone cable. Choose an unused pair (white/orange or white/green) and connect the ooma devices to them. If you have more questions, feel free to post them here.