Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#23744 by Groundhound
Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:51 am
Dennis will no doubt be able to resolve the problem, but for others who see this another way to confirm the correct MAC address is to do the following:

1.With power off to both your Telo and your computer, connect an Ethernet cable between the “Home Network” port of the Telo and your computer. There should be nothing connected to the “To Internet” port at this time.

2.Power up the Telo and wait for the flashing lights to settle down to a constant pattern, give it a couple of minutes.

3.Power up your computer and, once boot up is complete use your browser to go to http://setup.ooma.com. If you are able to see the setup home page go to the Network page (link on left side) and scroll down to view the “Home Port MAC Address” at the bottom of the page. The address entered here should match what's on your Telo sticker.
#23747 by sves
Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:58 am
You beat me to it, but a few moments ago I had the delayed idea of actually looking on my router to see the MAC that the Telo reported. The last character of the MAC shown in my router is a B, whereas the label on the bottom of my Telo clearly shows an A.

Label misprint? I sent the info off to Dennis to get their thoughts.
#23752 by Groundhound
Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:04 am
sves wrote:You beat me to it, but a few moments ago I had the delayed idea of actually looking on my router to see the MAC that the Telo reported. The last character of the MAC shown in my router is a B, whereas the label on the bottom of my Telo clearly shows an A.

Depends on how your router and Telo are connected. If the Telo is behind the router,the MAC address your router sees is the Telo's "To Internet" or modem MAC address, which is different than the Home Port Mac Address, the one you need for activation.
#23753 by murphy
Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:08 am
sves wrote:You beat me to it, but a few moments ago I had the delayed idea of actually looking on my router to see the MAC that the Telo reported. The last character of the MAC shown in my router is a B, whereas the label on the bottom of my Telo clearly shows an A.

The Telo has two MAC addresses. The MAC address for the Home port matches the label and is one less that the MAC address for the Internet port.
#23770 by Delmardad
Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:15 pm
I also have the same issue and received Saturday delivery from Amazon.
I wonder if the units that Amazon received all have Mac Address issues?
I spoke with OOMA support and they validated that my mac address is correct using
the method outlined here in the forum.
IE7 was by far the worse to use.. that just said.. INVALID ACTIVATION CODE all the time.
Safari and Firefox both came up with the Invalid Mac Address error. I agree, I dont want to have to wait
for 24-72 hours to hear back. I suspect that once they figure out the problem for a few people that it will start
working for the rest. Maybe the system is just overloaded with activations of the new Telo units and we should just
keep trying, using Firefox, until it starts to work?
#23773 by anorexorcist
Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:34 pm
I also purchased my Ooma Telo from Amazon as well and am currently getting the "You have entered an invalid MAC address" error when trying to active the device. I veried that the Mac address is correct using the steps outlined earlier in this thread.

I contacted CS and they said engineering will be contacting me, instructing me to try and reactive the device. Hopefully this problem wont take too long to resolve.
#23776 by sves
Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:43 pm
I got a response from Dennis that my device is not in their database, and they are working to resolve that.

I'm guessing it may be an issue with the batch of Telo devices sent to Amazon, since we have three reports of the same issue (all from Amazon). I would imagine Ooma will be able to resolve this issue for the whole batch.
#23782 by Dennis P
Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:01 pm
We're tracking down all the missing MAC address. In the meantime, if anyone runs into this problem, you can email me your MAC address and activation code and I will patch the database so you can activate.
#23783 by Dennis P
Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:03 pm
We've tracked down the missing MAC addresses and they are being uploaded as we speak. If anyone continues to run into problems, please let me know. We'll look at the IE7 problem as well. Thanks.
#23814 by anorexorcist
Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:09 pm
Successs. I was able to register/activate my device & account. I believe the device is now currently updating to the latest version of firmware. Thanks for tracking down the mac address problem so quickly.