Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#22276 by joetucson
Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:51 am
Greetings All,

I currently have a whole house ONQ distribution panel. Each phone outlet throught the house is home runned to the panel with cat5e wiring to an ONQ 1x8 enhanced telco module and bridged to an ONQ 8 port Expansion module allowing for 16 outlets. The Quest land line from the outside telco box to the distribution panel is also cat 5e that terminates at the Enhanced ONQ module feeding each of the homes outlets. This has been working fine with both one and two lines provided by Quest for a couple of years.

Now that I have purchased the Ooma, I gave up one of the Quest landlines. I kept one land line until I am satisfied of the QOS. When satisfied, I may drop the land line.

My LAN setup is also distributed via cat5e from a distribution panel to outlets throughout the house. I have Comcast cable terminating inside the distribution panel at the cable modem. My plan was to install the Ooma hub next to the cable modem before the router which is in the next dist. panel in the same room, which I have done. So far, so good.

On Friday, I activated the Ooma. During the setup I opted to keep my phone number and chose the integrated land line option. Now I believe I made a mistake. From reading here on the forums I see that most land line users do not choose the land line integrated option. Here is what I am experiencing.

My cable modem is connected to the Ooma modem connection, my router to the Ooma Home connection. All seems good, I can access the hub via setup.ooma.com, I have access to the internet and I have a blue tab when I plug a phone cord from a wall outlet (fed by my dist. panel) to the WALL connection on the Ooma, the blue Ooma light comes on, I get a dial tone on any handset and can call and disconnect. It is clear that this is all via the land line. The Ooma Line 1 light does not come on and there is no Ooma dial tone. So following the setup procedures, I connect a handset to the Ooma Phone outlet. I can then place Ooma calls from the handset attached to the hub. The whole house outlets are the land line only. Not a convenient setup since we want Ooma and land line at each outlet.

I then tried a connection from a spare dist. panel module outlet to the Ooma phone connector (same as using another wall outlet phone jack). All outlets now get an Ooma dial tone but sometimes line one is siezed (hub light on) sometimes not. When I place a call I think I am making two calls at once. I call one of those utility company numbers that start with menu choices for language, etc. You can definitely hear the same recorded messages being played back twice. Definitely not an echo! So I guess Ooma is making one call and the land line is making the other call weird as it sounds.

So I have been thinking that I should not integrate the land line and get an Ooma number. But before I do that, I need to ask how others are setting their Ooma to work with distributed wiring such that they continue to receive the land line and their Ooma line at all outlets in the home.

Thanks in advance.
#22490 by joetucson
Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:16 pm
OK, no response. So I will describe my solution in case anyone else has the same setup needs.

I had Ooma change my setup so my land line is no longer integrated and assign me a phone #.

I then re-wired a 2- wire phone cord on my distribution panel end such that line 1 on the Ooma hub feeds into line two in the whole house panel. (You need a connector crimper). I cut off one RJ14 connector and replaced it with an RJ45. Looking at the RJ45 (cat 5) connector with the tab up, the pins are numbered 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1. I put the red wire in position 6 and the green wire in position 3 and crimped the connector in position. The center pins 5,4 are for line 1, the next outer pins 6,3 are for line 2.

Now with the remaining RJ14 (wired as line 1) plugged into the PHONE PORT of the Ooma hub and the RJ45 plugged into the wall jack (or directly into the distribution panel) as line 2.

So Line 1 is my land line and Line 2 is Ooma line at all of my two line handsets throughout the house and I did not have to change the panel or wall jack wiring.

Sorry to be so detailed, but it may help someone.

Not perfect, but I will declare success.