Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#22268 by CMK
Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:12 am
Hello, everyone.

First off, thanks for all the help you have offered to others -- it has made deciding on the ooma system and installing it much easier.

OK, now for my question. I have decided to keep my landline as a backup (we have no cell phone coverage here), but I have not integrated it with the ooma service. I would like to use the Scout in different room than the hub is in. But although my hub is connected to the wall outlet, the scout will not work. My hunch is that this is because my Scout is connected to a wall outlet that still has active landline service. Is this right? If this is indeed my problem, is there any way around it? Is it possible, for instance, to deactivate the landline service in specific wall outlets?

Thanks,

Christopher
#22270 by murphy
Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:19 am
Landline service on the wires should not affect hub scout communication. I ran mine that way until I could find time to swap in a spare pair of wires.

That said, if DSL service is also on those wires it will totally disrupt the hub scout communication and will severely impact your internet speed.

Do you have cable or DSL?
#22273 by CMK
Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:35 am
I forget to say: we have cable internet service.

It is good to hear that you were able to do use the scout plugged into an outlet with an active landline running into it. I thought I had read on the forums that this was possible. But when I called ooma's customer service, the representative I reached told me that the Scout would not work this way.
#22274 by WayneDsr
Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:38 am
I have an active landline on my line and the Scout will not work.

If your house is wired for a second line, buy 2 two line adaptors and plug one in at the hub and one in at the scout location and use line 2 to communicate between the hub and scout.

Wayne
#22278 by CMK
Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:57 am
Interesting -- I wonder why it would work some places and not others.

And thanks for the suggestion, Wayne. Do you know how I would go about checking whether our house is wired for two lines? We don't have two line service now, but perhaps it was wired (back in 1968) so that a second line could be added.
#22284 by niknak
Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:11 pm
...Do you know how I would go about checking whether our house is wired for two lines?..

go to the telco demarc point and see if you have Cat3 (2pr) or Cat5 (4pr) wiring and how many wires are connected to the house wiring

for cat3 should be red/green and yellow/black

for cat5 should be blue/blue-white, and orange/orange-white
#22285 by hpepper
Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:12 pm
One way is checking behind a plate or jack. The normal typical way back then was the first pair is Green and Red while the second pair is Black and Yellow. See if they are connected - usually to screw terminals.
#22305 by CMK
Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:07 pm
I went down to the basement, and it looks like we have two-line wiring. Actually, the wiring is kind of a mess -- some lines are only hooked up to two wires, some are hooked up to four, the colors of the wires aren't always the same as the colors of the ones they are connected to, etc. But I think I can identify the cables for the two jacks I am interested in, and make sure that they are wired for two lines. So it looks like I could try the 2-line adapter solution.
#22350 by niknak
Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:01 pm
what you've found is very typical for older house wiring...the good news is once you figure it out you will know exactly how the house jacks are wired!