Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#22137 by Smidgerine
Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:35 am
I'm just wondering what the best setup for this would be. I've got a Linksys WRT350N that I've got dd-wrt running on.

I've got Cable Modem -> Router -> Switch with Ooma, PCs, game machines, etc. attached and it is working pretty well, although sometimes the calls do lose good quality. I've also got one DirecTV box behind the ooma, but that will probably change when I move the ooma to a better location after my regular phone number is ported.

So, I haven't done anything in DD-WRT and I expect that I could set up some port forwarding and maybe some QoS (which I haven't done before). Has anybody done this in DD-WRT and if so, can you provide settings!

Also, what is the best way to setup the Ooma hub in this environment. Should I set it up with a static IP?

Thanks in advance!
#22195 by daet
Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:17 pm
Smidgerine wrote:I'm just wondering what the best setup for this would be. I've got a Linksys WRT350N that I've got dd-wrt running on.

Also, what is the best way to setup the Ooma hub in this environment. Should I set it up with a static IP?

Yes, a static IP would make a QoS setup much easier.

Smidgerine wrote:So, I haven't done anything in DD-WRT and I expect that I could set up some port forwarding and maybe some QoS (which I haven't done before). Has anybody done this in DD-WRT and if so, can you provide settings!

The dd-wrt forums indicate that setting QoS rules using the web interface does not work at all for HFSC, and works poorly for HTB. That being said, you can save iptables rules as your firewall script that is loaded each time you boot the router. It is easy to create a script using Robert Mytkowski's dd-wrt script generator, which is a Windows application that will create a set of iptables rules based on your choices. You can copy & paste these rules into the firewall script under the administration tab. Check the dd-wrt forums for more details about Mytkowski's script generator (for eg. depending on the version of dd-wrt you use, you may have to replace the command modprobe with insmod)

Below, I have pasted a simple firewall script based on the script that I use. In this setup - the router is 192.168.1.1, the ooma hub is 192.168.1.2, and my download and upload bandwidth is 18000 kbps and 3500 kbps respectively. Traffic to/from the hub is given the highest priority, and the reserved bandwidth for the hub is 500 kbps up/down.

You may be able to modify this for your needs.

DG

Code: Select all#--------------------------------------------
#WRT54 Script Generator v1.02
#(C) 2006-2007 Robert "Robson" Mytkowski
#--------------------------------------------
TCA="tc class add dev br0"
TFA="tc filter add dev br0"
TQA="tc qdisc add dev br0"
SFQ="sfq perturb 10"
tc qdisc del dev br0 root
tc qdisc add dev br0 root handle 1: htb
tc class add dev br0 parent 1: classid 1:1 htb rate 18000kbit